Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Offensive beverages

It has been reported that Five Wives Vodka, made by Ogden's Own distillery in Utah, has been banned from store shelves by the state of Idaho because it was deemed to be offensive to Mormons. Polygamy Porter is still available in the state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-allowed.html

On a related note, the sale of Dirty Bastard Ale, one of the best beers from Founders, one of the best Michigan micro-brewers, was blocked in Alabama back in April. Fat Bastard Wines and Raging Bitch beer are still sold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1438734.html

Any thoughts? These examples seem silly, but how far is too far when it comes to alcohol brand names? Should states be involved in policing names at all? Or should the market just sort it out?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Market should sort it out.

Connoisseur

Re: Offensive beverages

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It has been reported that Five Wives Vodka, made by Ogden's Own distillery in Utah, has been banned from store shelves by the state of Idaho because it was deemed to be offensive to Mormons. Polygamy Porter is still available in the state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-allowed.html

On a related note, the sale of Dirty Bastard Ale, one of the best beers from Founders, one of the best Michigan micro-brewers, was blocked in Alabama back in April. Fat Bastard Wines and Raging Bitch beer are still sold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1438734.html

Any thoughts? These examples seem silly, but how far is too far when it comes to alcohol brand names? Should states be involved in policing names at all? Or should the market just sort it out?
    Look I got chastised for bringing politics unthinkingly into a thread and deservedly so..but this post is just a bait for a political response given the current climate of political correctness. I think it needs to be moved..

Virtuoso

Political correctness sucks.... post what ya want.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Political correctness sucks.... post what ya want.
    ..yeah then I will get blasted. That's why this should be in in PRC!

Connoisseur

Funny thing is, Michigan, home of the Dirty Bastard, blocked sales of Raging Bitch! When I'm there visiting my wife's family, I see Dirty Bastard LITERALLY next to the milk in the local grocery store! Talk about double standards.

Is this political? I think as long as we stay directly on topic, and offer examples of our own, it can be civil.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Funny thing is, Michigan, home of the Dirty Bastard, blocked sales of Raging Bitch! When I'm there visiting my wife's family, I see Dirty Bastard LITERALLY next to the milk in the local grocery store! Talk about double standards.

Is this political? I think as long as we stay directly on topic, and offer examples of our own, it can be civil.
    This should be in PRC..no doubt. You can be civil, but political at the same time..this belongs in politics.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    This should be in PRC..no doubt. You can be civil, but political at the same time..this belongs in politics.
    Whining is not becoming to Texans....you've made your point. Let's wait and see how the Mods feel.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Whining is not becoming to Texans....you've made your point. Let's wait and see how the Mods feel.
    Not whining..just making my point. I got burned once on this board, ain't gonna happen again. No more from me on this..
    Last edited by weller_tex; 05-30-2012 at 17:56.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Off topics..For what it is worth..never noticed Plankton in your posts. Spongebob is a must see around our household, especially Patrick..