Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Offensive beverages

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    Look I got chastised for bringing politics unthinkingly into a thread and deservedly so..but this post is just a bait for a political response given the current climate of political correctness. I think it needs to be moved..
    Not baiting, just asking what people thought about the topic. It has to do with government, sure, but there's nothing partisan about it. People of all political stripes around this forum bitch about state regulators all the time.

My political views are pretty well known, but when it comes to this, I think the market should sort out the issue of which names are offensive and which aren't. If the people of Idaho find the name offensive, then they won't buy it. Same for Dirty Bastard or Raging Bitch.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

Are all of the states involved control states of some order?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Yes.

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If the people of Idaho find the name offensive, then they won't buy it. Same for Dirty Bastard or Raging Bitch.
    Based on my very limited understanding, the people who might be offended by Five Wives on religious grounds probably wouldn't be purchasing any vodka anyway, on religious grounds.

As far as names go, I've always thought Dirty Bastard, Raging Bitch, etc. to be harmless, though a bit indecorous. Given that one need be 21 to buy these products the argument can hardly be made that they're corrupting the young.

But to make an analogy to a larger audience, would any of you be offended by say, a wine called Crown of Thorns? We already have He'Brew beer.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

But to make an analogy to a larger audience, would any of you be offended by say, a wine called Crown of Thorns? We already have He'Brew beer.
    Ohh I'm a heathen so bring on the Crown of Thorns.

On a related note, the makers of He'Brew are actually nice Jewish boys from Brooklyn. The Jews I know find it hilarious.

Check out the names of their other beers.

http://www.shmaltzbrewing.com/HEBREW/index.html
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Enthusiast

Years ago Dogfish Head had a pilsner they called "Prescription Pils." They were forced to rename it and came up with "Golden Shower" as a protest. I thought that was rather clever, but they ended up having to change the label again and it's now called "Golden Era." All of this being said, Oskar Blues' "Mamma's Little Yellow Pils" pilsner seems to have escaped the controversy.

Advanced Taster

Some people buy offensively named alcoholic drinks simply because of the name, others avoid offensively named alcholic drinks simply because of the name. On a long enough time-line, the producer will find out which products are economically viable and which ones are not, and in the end, it will fix itself.

Which is just a long way of saying "let the market decide." Personally, its like others have said many times, it's whats in the bottle that matters.

Connoisseur

I regularly buy Arrogant Bastard ales. I don't really care for the name, but the brew is outstanding.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I regularly buy Arrogant Bastard ales. I don't really care for the name, but the brew is outstanding.
    Fun fact - the dye that goes into the labels for Arrogant Bastard is recognized as carcinogenic by the state of California. I think it has barium in it?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    Which is just a long way of saying "let the market decide." ......
    Carefull, now.....that kind of overtly right wing sloganeering will get you into trouble 'round here...