Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM: 6/12 Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon

I'll have to get mine out again tonight. I haven't been very impressed with my bottle. It's hot and dry. The flavor disappears at the beginning of the sip and then comes back, but not enough. I will see if the air has done anything to help it improve. It might just not be my style.

Advanced Taster

This is definitely at the top of any bourbons I've had. A bit pricy but worth it.

Connoisseur
    The price initially caused me to buy only one bottle when it first came out. I am still not liking the $65-$70 I have seen it for around here but didn't stop me from eventually buying 5 more. I really enjoy this one. On some nights I even pick up some Smartie candy flavors. I will disappointed when I finish these bottles.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    There's something new in each return to this bottle and I'm having a great time with it.
    I meant to mention this also. There is a lot of different stuff going on here. Something different jumps out every time. Especially since it has been opened awhile.

Scott

Virtuoso

I emptied my bottle a month or two ago, but I have seen fit to grab another one to enjoy at a later time. I wrote up some tasting notes at the time, but two things stick out for me: 1) the sooty palate that is part of the whiskey's satisfying body and keeps the sweetness in balance, and 2) that Cracker Jack note that sometimes jumps out on the finish. I remember that nice sootiness from ER10/90 barrels from '09 (I think it was '09). (Sadly, ER10 has lost just about all its charms for me since the CEHT releases started coming out.)

That Cracker Jack note is really delightful though. It's a light and creamy sweet corn hit with caramel and a bitter nuttiness that adds an exotic flair.

I wonder if BT has any plans to recreate the aging conditions that resulted in this release? They should make a program out of it and charge $55.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I wonder if BT has any plans to recreate the aging conditions that resulted in this release? They should make a program out of it and charge $55.
    It seems to me that BT may be using the CEHT label to create a program of rye bourbons to parallel the Van Winkle wheated bourbons. If that is the case, $55 for this age class seems reasonable.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    That has been my experience also. Never fails to entertain and is always enjoyable. For me the balance of sweetness and barrel character is spot on. YMMV. Nothing fancy or overly complicated just delicious and balanced with a great mouth feel.

After comparing bottles sold in different parts of the country while in Kentucky I didn't form any firm conclusions about any one being significantly better than any others.

A friend sourced multiple bottles for me from Maryland where the price was less than $55 each so I bunkered a few.
    Thanks for the insights and well played! I need to get off the schneid and crack one of mine open and experience it!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

I've had a bottle open for over a month and I regret buying it a little, but I couldn't find it at any bars, and the reviews/hype made me take the plunge. $66+tax here.

I like the nose just fine, but only after it sits for about 10 minutes in a Glencairn and the heat dies down a bit. First sip is too hot on the tip of the tounge, but subsequent sips tamed my taste buds and let me taste the flavor more. Long, lingering finish.

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming barrel proof, despite my lukewarm feelings for this release.

Connoisseur

I almost killed my first bottle of this at a family dinner tonight, sharing with my brothers and fathers in law. I no longer regret having an extra bottle of it. I think my taste buds were off last time I tasted it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LongBeachScott View Post
    It seems to me that BT may be using the CEHT label to create a program of rye bourbons to parallel the Van Winkle wheated bourbons. If that is the case, $55 for this age class seems reasonable.
    Chuck has said that's BT's intention, but for me there's not enough continuity in the releases for that parallel to work. Given the huge swings in style for the CEHT bottlings, I tend to put it in the PHC box. That said, it's got nothing on PHC as far as quality, IMHO.