Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

BOTM: 6/12 Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon

BOTM up early two months in a row, huh? I hope you all don't get spoiled.

June brings us back to rye recipe #1 specialty line from Buffalo Trace with Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon. While the full name of this release is quite a mouthful, the deep flavors of this bourbon makes it an enjoyable one.

There was quite a bit of talk about this one during the Sampler weekend gatherings in Bardstown, including discussions about geographical differences in the bottlings.

Now it's your turn, SB. Tell us what you think of the Taylor Tornado.
    Last edited by callmeox; 05-31-2012 at 19:34.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

Re: BOTM: 6/12 Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon

Wow! I happened to pour some of this one a few minutes ago and fired up the laptop and lo and behold, it is BOTM!

So, I am going to post some thoughts on the fly. I haven't done that a lot so be kind!

The nose has a lot of orange peel and maybe some lemon right up front. I get a lot of rye spice on the nose. It has a nice creamy feel on the tongue, notes of caramel, some wood, and citrus again. The rye spice is there but softer than I would expect from the nose.

I really like this bourbon, but I paid $72 for it. That invites comparison to the BTAC releases. I would prefer any of the GTS or WLW to this bourbon for the price.

Scott

Guru

I agree with Scott, although, when I handed it out to all my bourbon friends, they all wanted to buy a bottle or two.
    Joe
    Last edited by BourbonJoe; 06-01-2012 at 02:43. Reason: aaddition
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

I got a bottle of this last month. Just the name "Tornado Surviving Bourbon" was a great come on along with the back story.
    But I do not buy on name or uniqueness alone. I did some research before I plunked down $70. Most of the reviews were positive so I got one.
    I find the nose has a bit of spice with the orange that Scott did with some spice and fruit flavors along with heat when it first hits my mouth. It has a nice long finish.
    I also agree that the price should be $15-20 less, $55-60 and I would buy two more as backups. However if you really like it, does price matter? I guess yes as long as you can find the Weller's or PVW's at those same $70-90 range. Which for me in Texas is almost impossible to find.
    So in the end this is a very nice bottle.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Advanced Taster

Just got this in at the store, may have to grab one since it is the BOTM after all.

Disciple

I've continually passed on the Col. Taylors, based on a single experience that was good, but just not worth the cost.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I've continually passed on the Col. Taylors, based on a single experience that was good, but just not worth the cost.
    Agreed. I liked the BIB well enough. I just think the price is too high.

The Voshole

Love this bourbon, enough so that I've purchased multiple bottles. Sure, I wish it was priced lower, but I've never had any regrets in buying them. IMHO, this one is worth the money.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Virtuoso

Just had a pour of this last night and got a big hit of honey on the first sip. There's something new in each return to this bottle and I'm having a great time with it. I don't know that I would have bought this one had I not had the opportunity to sample it first due to the price, but I now think it's worth it. Looking forward to the barrel-proof release.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

There's something new in each return to this bottle and I'm having a great time with it.
    That has been my experience also. Never fails to entertain and is always enjoyable. For me the balance of sweetness and barrel character is spot on. YMMV. Nothing fancy or overly complicated just delicious and balanced with a great mouth feel.

After comparing bottles sold in different parts of the country while in Kentucky I didn't form any firm conclusions about any one being significantly better than any others.

A friend sourced multiple bottles for me from Maryland where the price was less than $55 each so I bunkered a few.