Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hello from Iowa

Taster

Hello from Iowa

Hello all, my name is Travis. Been visiting the site for a while and figured I might as well sign up.

I'm in the Des Moines area here. I've been drinking bourbon for a little over 10 years now. (a lot more if you consider the sips that grandpa gave me )

I currently have several interesting bottles but I consistently find that Four Roses Single Barrel is my go to. And it happens to be one of a limited selection that we can get in this state.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Hi Travis I'm from Iowa also Clarinda now about 2 hrs SW of you. We have a few Iowa members on here. Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy it. Iowa can be a bit of bourbon dry spot I go to MO to buy a lot of my whiskey. They say there is a store in Ames called Cyclone Liquors that carries a lot of hard to get stuff. Come join us in chat some time it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page. Also if your on facebook one of the members here started a bourbon page called Iowa Whisk(e)y Club stop by there too. It's not much just a few people talking whiskey.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Taster

Going to School at ISU I've been to Cyclone liquors quite a bit. The owner there is quite knowledgeable and they carry one of the best selections I have found in Iowa. You can find some things like BTAC, or WTKS there from time to time.

Another good place is just north of downtown Des Moines, Central City Liquors. If you ever stop in there they give you a nice discount for cash if you use the word "coupon" at the register. There are several people here that actually know the finer points of whiskey. From time to time they will put on a whiskey tasting too, but they lean a lot more towards scotch.

For the most part though if one of those two stores don't carry something I usually pick something up when I'm traveling out of state which happens quite a lot for me.

Thanks for letting me know about the gazebo/bourbon page I'll have to check those out.

I guess that was kinda dumb of me ISU_grad you would know about Cyclone Liquors.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I guess that was kinda dumb of me ISU_grad you would know about Cyclone Liquors.
    No worries, if you ever get to Ames I would highly recommend it. They have a great selection of about everything, one wet spot in an otherwise mostly dry Iowa.

Enthusiast

Glad to see another Iowan! I also live in DSM and agree with the Cyclone and Central City recommendations. Ingersoll doesn't have a great selection, but ocassionally has a good sale on scotch, or gets some Weller or something like that. I can usually quench my thirst for variety at those haunts.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board from a bit north of the border from you.

Spent a great six years of college in Des Moines, really start to pick up the last couple of years there, and I know the town really has bloomed since that time.

And in case anybody is wondering, I wasn't that slow in in school, the program was just that long. I know I'd be thinking the same too.

The mention of Ingersoll brings back fond memories. Not my most frequently shopped store, but in the rotation back then.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Taster

Nice to see a fellow DM resident here. I've long thought about joining some kind of bourbon/whiskey group here in Des Moines but I only know a couple other semi-serious connoisseurs. Glad to see that I'm not the only one here

Yes, I've hit up Ingersoll a few times as well, not in my usual rotation, but I will often stop at random places around town just to see what places have.

Unfortunately, for us here I read about all these great things that are coming out but our great state seems to think we don't need them. Fortunately though I've been able to do some traveling and have stocked up on some quality items.

Novice
    Welcome fellow central Iowan!
    I wandered into Ingersoll a few months back and stumbled onto a couple bottles of EWSB '00, which I hadn't seen on a shelf for a while. Cyclone and Central are definately head and shoulders above all others around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    Welcome fellow central Iowan!
    I wandered into Ingersoll a few months back and stumbled onto a couple bottles of EWSB '00, which I hadn't seen on a shelf for a while. Cyclone and Central are definately head and shoulders above all others around here.
    Thread drift here:

Kirk every time I think you have fallen of the site you show back up. Good to see you back around. Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.