Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Rye?

Advanced Taster

Jack Rye?

Ive heard that Jack Daniels is going to be bottling a straight rye whiskey in the near future. This, (please correct me if im wrong) will be the first rye filtered using the lincoln county process or charcoal mellowing process, making it a truely unique whiskey!
    If anyone has any additional info like a release date, please post here.

Im looking forward to try this!

Guru

Re: Jack Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by bjbronwyn View Post
    Ive heard that Jack Daniels is going to be bottling a straight rye whiskey in the near future. This, (please correct me if im wrong) will be the first rye filtered using the lincoln county process or charcoal mellowing process, making it a truely unique whiskey!
    If anyone has any additional info like a release date, please post here.

Im looking forward to try this!
    I will correct you. I believe the Breakout Rye is made by Dickel and also given the Lincoln Co. treatment. I'm sure someone will correct ME if I'm wrong!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know anything, but I doubt either distillery is making or has made a rye.

Connoisseur

This is pure conjecture on my part. If B-F is going to stop supplying Rittenhouse for HH, maybe they could keep making something similar. Since they can't call it Rittenhouse, they'd have to call it something.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Or B-F could put out its own rye.

I think a Tennessee rye is a great idea, the effect of the charcoal mellowing might work even better than on the low-rye bourbon mash of JD or GD.

Gary

Enthusiast

For some reason I don't hold out a lot of hope that a JD Rye would be very good -- but I'd love to see them take the efforts out of Jack Honey and try. I'd buy one -- and since Jack was probably a top-5 expenditure in my 20's behind food, gas and rent, he will always have a sweet spot with me.
    tl; dnr

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    This is pure conjecture on my part. If B-F is going to stop supplying Rittenhouse for HH, maybe they could keep making something similar. Since they can't call it Rittenhouse, they'd have to call it something.
    I've thought the same thing. BF is not quick to launch new brands, although they could follow Knob Creek's lead and bring it out under the Old Forester brand. They might resist that because OF has so much heritage and never has been anything but a bourbon.

It has been almost four years since BF stopped making Rittenhouse for HH, so if they kept making the product with an idea to bringing out their own, we should hear about it soon. Rye is so hot right now, and in such short supply, that I don't think a new rye from such as esteemed producer would be a hard sell, even if it's a new and unfamiliar brand name.

If nothing else, I have to believe they've thought about it. It's also possible that their contract with HH prohibits or restricts it.

Disciple

B-F would have been wise to continue distilling and aging rye for their own purposes. It could be used to resurrect the OF label(since while it may have heritage, most people haven't a clue), or they could simply use the JD brand, which would make more sense to me.

Do most drinkers of Jack even think about it being from Tenn.? They could simply take DSP-354 Rye, put it under the JD label and call it "Jack Daniels Original Sour Mash Straight Rye." If the words "made in Kentucky" appear on the back label in small print, who would care, as it would sell like hot cakes.

Enthusiast

They should call it, Old No. 6

Advanced Taster

Im sure this will be under the JD brand, and for it to be labeled made and bottled in Lynchburg Tenn, they must have had this in the pipeline for a number of years. Or do you guys think they might buy the Rye whiskey from another distillery, and label it their own?