Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Rye?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Jack Rye?

Well, initially I thought B-F might use its own rye (made in KY) and apply the Lincoln County Process in Tennessee to lend a distinctive TN note. This is why in my earlier post I said, "or B-F might put out its own rye", i.e., do an all-Kentucky rye as an alternative to any such use of rye at Lynchburg although I suppose it could be both (but not as likely IMO).

Giving it further thought, I think if JD or GD ever did a rye of their own they would probably make it from scratch themselves, 100% in TN. Being long-established and with the Tennessee origins long a point for distinction for them, it is probably unlikely they would bring in rye for this purpose although as a niche product, who knows..?

Either way I'd like to them do this and B-F too to put out its own (non-JD named) all-Kentucky rye, the more the better.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-05-2012 at 03:39.

Disciple

"The more the better" indeed! The number of Rye expressions from the majors is woefully small. Given Rye's growth, I would expect to see at least double the labels we have now within the next 5 years.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Do most drinkers of Jack even think about it being from Tenn.?
    Have you ever taken a look into the cult of Jack Daniel's?

When I was in high school and college, friends who were into the stuff would quote the "Jack Daniels Old Time Old #7 Quality Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey" as a mark of how well they knew the brand.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A lot of conjecture and speculation, and anything is possible, but I don't see it. There is enough confusion about what "Jack Daniels Old Time Old #7 Quality Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey" is, and adding a rye to the mix wouldn't help. I also can't see them selling a rye made somewhere other than Lynchburg. Again, that's tinkering with the brand image more than I think they would do.

When they put the name on a BBQ sauce or something, that doesn't confuse things, but Jack Daniel's, the whiskey, is Jack Daniel's -- a whiskey, but also a brand -- more than it is a particular type of whiskey, and Jack Daniel's that isn't Jack Daniel's doesn't fit. Then again, I don't see how Porsche can put its name on an SUV, so what do I know?

They've already tinkered with a Woodford Rye, and could do the same thing they do with the bourbon, mixing some rye made at Woodford with some made at BF, to create a line extension.

Or they could resurrect some historic brand, as I know they've had ryes in their portfolio before. Or create something new.

I got a box from Brown-Forman yesterday that I haven't opened yet. Maybe it's the new rye?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I got a box from Brown-Forman yesterday that I haven't opened yet. Maybe it's the new rye?
    I guess mine got lost in the mail.

Disciple

Chuck's right, in that the smartest thing for them to do would be a Woodford Rye. It wouldn't mess with the Jack brand, and they'd make a lot more margin than an Early Times Rye.

Woodford 90proof NAS Rye for $30?? Better buy up all the RittBIB DSP-354 that I can get my hands on!

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Chuck's right, in that the smartest thing for them to do would be a Woodford Rye. It wouldn't mess with the Jack brand, and they'd make a lot more margin than an Early Times Rye.

Woodford 90proof NAS Rye for $30?? Better buy up all the RittBIB DSP-354 that I can get my hands on!
    Although an Early Times Rye (I hadn't thought of that) might be good if they want to bring it out at a popular price, perhaps between Beam/Overholt and Rittenhouse/Sazerac, rather than going against Knob Rye with a Woodford. The current interest in rye might allow them to use an Early Times Rye to draw attention to ET Bourbon as well as ET KY whiskey, thus helping the whole brand.

I tend to forget about ET, even when thinking specifically about Brown-Forman whiskeys.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

But putting it out under the JD imprint would give it the distinctive pre-barreling, maple charcoal filtering treatment. Given how energetic rye whiskey can be at 4 years old, the said treatment may work a significant improvement. Used with a rye-light, bourbon-type mash, arguably it takes too much out of the new spirit (not for its fans of course but some bourbon fans feel that way I know); this would not be an issue for rye which by definition is a heavy and feisty whiskey. It's win-win from what I can see, and also, given that we have Gentleman Jack now, SB and other iterations not to mention a honey liqueur, I can't see that extending the line in this way would hurt Old No. 7 at all.

Gary

Disciple

And Shanken had the news release yesterday that BF sales were up 6% for the fiscal year and attributed to a strong performance by JD and "particularly its Tennessee Honey offshoot". Oh yeah, price hikes are coming too.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

If BF really thinks charcoal filtering is what a young rye needs, they can charcoal filter regardless of the brand they choose to use. They don't have to call it JD just because charcoal filtering is used.