Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Rye?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Jack Rye?

Why can't it be simply a rye-based cereal mash distilled to 190 proof? It's rye mash, but not whiskey from rye mash because i) never put in wood, ii) 190 proof or over as opposed to under 160 (would go the argument). What I'm wondering is if the stuff being aged in new charred oak is typical rye white dog but they chose to distill some of the same stuff higher for this limited release.

Or, maybe it is a mix of some rye-based GNS and some rye white dog.

190 proof spirit can be pretty impactful, it only acquires truly neutral character as vodka and that requires more than maple charcoal leaching.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-05-2012 at 18:43.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    As indicated above, Before and After are whiskey products.
    Sorry, should have gotten that from your first post, particularly considering the first part of it. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Jim

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Sorry, should have gotten that from your first post, particularly considering the first part of it. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
    It's all good.

padpadpadpadpadpad
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkSpirits View Post
    It has been officially announced and Drink Spirits has a review: http://www.drinkspirits.com/whiskey/...hiskey-review/
    After skimming your review I need to ask a question. How exactly is this an exciting product?

Guru

I for one hope and pray it tanks.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thinking further on this, and glancing also at Chuck's blog of last night on it, I think now, unless more info comes out, Chuck is probably right when he said above that it is likely a re-distillation of rye mash whiskey that was in wood for a time. That is not inconsistent with neutral spirit because if you take the spirit to 190, it loses the whiskey designation ("whiskey" has to be under 190 proof). That way too, you would get a little maturation from the time in wood, even if it was a few days. Any brown color could be eliminated by special filtering (like we talking about earlier viz. the new Beam white whiskey).

Viewed that way, it is rye mash neutral spirit, which is what the label says. Also, this would mean and I understood Mr. Arnett to say, that the rye mash went through the maple charcoal stack just like the regular Jack Daniel's mash does.

That is probably the answer. I still think it is possible they did two runs and the new Rye never saw the inside of a barrel, or that the spirit is a mix of rye mash white dog and GNS, but these seem less likely to me now.

Assuming, though, that what is in the bottle is a true rye white dog, the designation as neutral spirit seems clearly inapt, or IMO anyway.

Gary

Virtuoso

At $50.00 a bottle, I'll just skip it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It can't be a mixture of anything and neutral spirit and still be called neutral spirit. Neutral spirit is neutral spirit. There is zero ambiguity in the definition. Neutral spirit is any distillate distilled above 95% ABV. That's what neutral spirit is and neutral spirit can't be anything else. No exceptions. No wiggle room. If it was distilled at 85% it's not neutral spirit and mislabeled, which is unlikely. Although we know of producers who have gotten inaccurate labels approved, Brown-Forman wouldn't submit an inaccurate label. They'd never get away with it, with the scrutiny Jack Daniel's gets.

So if it's not mislabeled then it has to be neutral spirit, but it sure doesn't taste like neutral spirit.

I've been thinking about it and there really isn't a legal name for whiskey white dog if it truly has no contact with wood, but if you do a touch-and-go with a used barrel, you can call it whiskey, which is what I assume BT did with its bottled white dog. It's inconceivable to me that Daniel's wouldn't call it whiskey if they could call it whiskey except for one thing. They couldn't call it rye whiskey. That's the gag here. "Rye" is a more important word than "whiskey." They're banking on the fact that most people will see "Jack Daniel's Rye" and think they're seeing "Jack Daniel's Rye Whiskey."

And if they truly distilled it to 85% ABV, then even after it's aged they won't be able to call it "rye whiskey" because rye whiskey has to be distilled below 80% ABV. But it won't matter, because the same logic will hold. That's the power of the Jack Daniel's brand. Jack Daniel's doesn't have to be bourbon, it doesn't even have to be whiskey.

None of which changes the fact that neutral spirit is any distillate distilled above 95% ABV.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-06-2012 at 15:35.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The price is interesting and shows again what shrewd marketers the Brown-Forman folks are. The micro-producers have established $50 as a reasonable price point for white whiskey. If people will pay it for High West, why not for Jack Daniel's?

Trippah and Admin

Next question: Where is DSP-TN 1 located? The COLA lists DSP-TN 4 as the source, but the photo shows TN 1 on the bottle neck.