Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Rye?

Re: Jack Rye?

Negative...just got off the phone with Jeff Arnett doing an interview that will be in this weekend's WhiskyCast. The mashbill is 70% rye, 18% corn, and 12% malted barley. Chuck, you're right...they did run it through the charcoal after distillation and before bottling. He says they didn't call it whiskey because it hadn't spent any time in the barrel, which is why they're calling it "Unaged Rye". IMHO, the charcoal really adds something to this one...it knocks off the rough edges that we see in most unaged ryes, while bringing out some great fruity notes on the taste and more sweetness than you'd normally expect from an unaged rye. They have 800+ barrels that were laid down late last year, and those will be the foundation for an aged version that we'll see in a few years.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

But what proof was it distilled at? Why is there a reference to its class being neutral spirit?

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    But what proof was it distilled at?
    This is the biggest question I have too. I'd have to say that it seems strange that they would lay down barrels of neutral spirits for aging, but why in the world would they label this bottle as neutral spirits if that's not what it is?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This is the biggest question I have too. I'd have to say that it seems strange that they would lay down barrels of neutral spirits for aging, but why in the world would they label this bottle as neutral spirits if that's not what it is?
    It's not neutral spirits, gang. Just confirmed the following with Jeff Arnett: 1: Rye-based mashbill (see my post above) distilled at 140 proof (70% abv). The spirit that's being laid down in casks is at traditional barrel strength 62.5% abv (125 proof), and both aged and unaged versions will be bottled at 40% abv (80 proof). As for not using the "whiskey" labeling, Jeff advises that they have TTB approval to call the unaged spirit "Tennessee Rye", but since they're not even putting into casks for a few minutes, they cannot use "whiskey" on the label. In Jeff's words, they're following the traditional Jack Daniel's whiskey-making process right up to the point where it goes into the barrel...and bottle it instead.

I really should hang out here more often...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks for that clarification, but I still don't understand the reference on the label to neutral spirit being the "class" of this beverage.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MGillespie View Post
    In Jeff's words, they're following the traditional Jack Daniel's whiskey-making process right up to the point where it goes into the barrel...and bottle it instead.
    Wow, I didn't know that it costs less to age spirit in a barrel before bottling than to bottle it straight out of the filtering vats.

FIFTY bucks for new-make, 20 bucks after aging.
    Last edited by portwood; 10-05-2012 at 16:17.

Guru

Yeah. Screw that noise. Ridiculous.

Disciple

Can't understand that pricing at all. This costs more than JDSB, for an 80 proofer... truly one of the most ridiculous price points I've seen on anything. Did Jeff mention anything about the price in your interview, Mark? Maybe this is just while it's a gift shop item?
    Jim

It's like any other gift shop or limited-release product, and I fully expect there will be Jack collectors that just have to have a bottle. I wouldn't have priced it that high, but then, I'm not a marketing guy.

Guru

Four Rose's 17 yo gift shop bottling is $57.Just sayin'.