Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Van Winkle Family Reserve

Just purchased a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 yr (lot B). While I'm new to all of this and have never seen a bottle of Van Winkle product other than at a restaurant, was this a good purchase for $55? Remember I'm a newbie.

Taster

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve

It seems like the Lot B has some mixed reviews around here. I'm immensely enjoying my bottle. I paid $54 which I feel is a good deal for it but I wouldn't pay the $70-90 most places around me mark it up to.
    I've seen many comparisons to the Weller 12 year which is similar but in terms of mouthfeel and added spice, the Lot B blows it out of the water.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Maybe try to familiarize yourself with some of the other players when it comes to wheated bourbons (Weller, Makers, etc) and I think you will no doubt enjoy this bottle.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jakew View Post
    Maybe try to familiarize yourself with some of the other players when it comes to wheated bourbons (Weller, Makers, etc) and I think you will no doubt enjoy this bottle.
    This is good advice. Old Weller Antique (and to a lesser extent Weller Special Reserve) are terrific places to start when it comes to wheaters. OWA is a standard/daily pour for me, and it almost always hits the spot.

I would also recommend doing the so called "SB Blend" - take OWA and Weller 12 and mix a 1:1 vatting. Let it sit for a couple of weeks so the flavors really come together and then give it a try. The OWA bumps up the proof of the Weller 12, and the 12 year adds a little age to the mix.
    Last edited by jcg9779; 06-06-2012 at 14:40.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    This is good advice. Old Weller Antique (and to a lesser extent Weller Special Reserve) are terrific places to start when it comes to wheaters. OWA is a standard/daily pour for me, and it almost always hits the spot.

I would also recommend doing the so called "SB Blend" - take OWA and Weller 12 and mix a 1:1 vatting. Let it sit for a couple of week so the flavors really come together and then give it a try. The OWA bumps up the proof of the Weller 12, and the 12 year adds a little age to the mix.
    What he said......

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jakew View Post
    I've seen many comparisons to the Weller 12 year which is similar but in terms of mouthfeel and added spice, the Lot B blows it out of the water.
    I think that's why the SB blend of OWA/W12 works so beautifully, it adds that spice/mouthfeel back in. I had a hard time picking which I preferred between SB Blend and Pappy15.

Welcome rutterb!