Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Hello from Murfreesboro TN

I joined the forum a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to introducing myself or posting anything for that matter. I'm a college student who lives in Murfreesboro. Being a college student, I have a limited liquor budget, but when I can I enjoy buy myself a bottle or two and enjoy a few pours. I like taking notes, and I use a Glencarin glass or brandy snifter (though the brandy snifter seems to give me too much alcohol). Having just turned 21 back in December, I have limited experience, and all my friend's experiences with whiskey are 8 or 9 shots of EWB or JD at a party, so I have no one to relate my enjoyment of bourbon with except you fine people. I also smoke a few cigars a week. I'll learn a lot from this forum and perhaps occasionally I'll have some insights.

Guru

Re: Hello from Murfreesboro TN

Welcome aboard. Having a limited budget shouldn't prove to be a major problem, as many fine bourbons can be had for under $25--Very Old Barton Bottled In Bond, Old Grand Dad 114, Elijah Craig 12, Old Weller Antique, Wild Turkey 101 and Rittenhouse Rye among others. You may want to sample a few in a bar before pulling the trigger on a whole bottle but ask them to put your whiskey in something other than a shot glass so that you can really nose it. Most importantly, have fun!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

Elijah Craig 12, Old Grand Dad 114, WT 101 are all wonderful. I'm actually working on a bottle of Rare Breed right now. I haven't found a liquor store that carries Rittenhouse or VOB BIB. I haven't tired Weller yet. My only experience with wheated Bourbon is Maker's, and I can't say that it's really enjoyable. I don't mind buying bottles without trying them first. If I don't like a bourbon I can at least spend time with it and learn why I don't like it. Sadly, I went through several bottles before I switched from just a tumbler to Glencarin glasses, so the experience with those whiskeys was sort of wasted. I like scotch too, but I can't justify a good scotch purchase too often. I can afford a decent bottle of bourbon a week though.

Check out Midtown Wine and Spirits on Church Street in Nashville. It has a pretty good selection and the few times I've been there they have been really helpful.

Sometime in September they will have a Whiskeyfest. From what I've been told it would be a good time to go and taste some pretty good TN whiskeys and KY bourbons.

Apprentice

When I have a chance to head to Nashville I will definitely check the store out.

I didn't know that Nashville had a whiskyfest.

Not really a Nashville thing, just something the store is doing from what I've been told. I'd recommend getting on their email list and keep in check with their twitter page for updates. The employee there stated that if you attend you will have priority on selections, for whatever that's worth. They are the ones that turned me on to KY Vintage 17. I can't stay out of that bottle.