Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

What are you cookin on the smoker?

Given that we are in BBQ season I thought it would be fun to see what everyone has coming off their smokers..... pictures always are appreciated....

This past weekend a few buddies and I cooked at an event called DizzyFest in Virgina ... an EggFest put on by Dizzy Pig BBQ. It was a great time with 300+ folks in attendance. We made several things but the hit of the day was a 25 pound beef shoulder smoked up on the BGE at 225F for 24 hours. I injected it, rubbed it up with Dizzy Pig Cow lick and foiled at 152F and pulled it at 195F. After we rested it for about 5 hours in a Cambro we pulled the beef directly off the cooked shoulder, dipped it in the pan juices and put it on a bun with some horseradish sauce..... good eating!!!

So what's cooking on your smoker?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DizzyFest June 2012 (2).JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	13651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DizzyFest 2012 Beef Shoulder.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	13652  
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

After gettin a BBQ education at the Sampler Took the plunge and bought a Weber Smokey Mtn smoker.

Inaugural cook last weekend with 16 lb pork shoulder. Smoked for 18 hours and then wrapped in foil for 3 hours before pulling.

Unbelievably great and moist BBQ.

Only problem was amount of bourbon consumed in process. Made for a ROUGH!!! Monday morning
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    After gettin a BBQ education at the Sampler Took the plunge and bought a Weber Smokey Mtn smoker.

Inaugural cook last weekend with 16 lb pork shoulder. Smoked for 18 hours and then wrapped in foil for 3 hours before pulling.

Unbelievably great and moist BBQ.

Only problem was amount of bourbon consumed in process. Made for a ROUGH!!! Monday morning
    Bill, Thad was just kidding when he said one pour of WLW per pound!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Bill, Thad was just kidding when he said one pour of WLW per pound!!!
    No he wasn't. That's just how Big Thad rolls!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

I posted about this salmon on SB the other day. This is the most recent meal off my smoker. Just tails and bellies seasoned with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and Raging River, maple syrup and demerera sugar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotsmokedsalmon.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	13653  

Virtuoso

I am going to continue my trek with brisket.... grabbed a CAB and a good looking "choice" graded one... curious to see the differences once cooked. CAB will hit the grate tomorrow....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

Be interested to see how they compare Reid.
    What's been your take on Angus beef in general? Substance or marketing?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
    Be interested to see how they compare Reid.
    What's been your take on Angus beef in general? Substance or marketing?
    To this point I would say marketing as if you pick your choice properly, the stuff which leans towards prime rather than select, it is pretty damn good for a decent price. We will see as the CAB is on now and I have a few tasters coming by this evening....

Enthusiast

Last weekend I did 6 racks of St Louis ribs (Johnny Trigg style) and a 17 lb brisket. I should have gotten a smaller brisket since I had to finish the brisket in the oven to meet my serving time...

I snapped pics of the prepped brisket and one when I put it on the smoker but then the rigors (read bourbon and cigar) of an all night cook took its toll and I didn't take any more pics.

Everything turned out great except for a temperature spike about 3/4 through the cook that resulted in the ribs on the bottom rack to get a little dark around the edges. But still darned tasty.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    Last weekend I did 6 racks of St Louis ribs (Johnny Trigg style) and a 17 lb brisket. I should have gotten a smaller brisket since I had to finish the brisket in the oven to meet my serving time...

I snapped pics of the prepped brisket and one when I put it on the smoker but then the rigors (read bourbon and cigar) of an all night cook took its toll and I didn't take any more pics.

Everything turned out great except for a temperature spike about 3/4 through the cook that resulted in the ribs on the bottom rack to get a little dark around the edges. But still darned tasty.
    Mike. What type of brisket do you cook?