Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Here are some pics of my recent cook. My brother was visiting from Kentucky and I had to repay him for delivering some bourbon to me that I can't find in Michigan. I smoked a couple butts, an 8 pound brisket, three racks of ribs and some ABTs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwoPorkButtsandaBrisket.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	13935

Name:	5HoursIntotheCook.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	13937

Name:	ABTsandThreeRacks.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	13938
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OntheSmoker700AM.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	13936  

Guru

I just had my birthday last week and my big present was a large Big Green Egg. All I can say so far is, Wow! The first evening, I grilled chicken breasts. They came out crispy and brown on the outside, but they were juicy and tender on the inside. The next day, I slow cooked beef ribs with a spicy steak rub made by my youngest son from one of Stephen Raichlen's recipes. The next day I slow roasted a cured picnic that had been injected with maple syrup. This evening, I plan to do my first burgers.

Again, wow! I am beginning to wonder if my trusty old CharBroil will ever be lit again.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

For the first time in 2 yrs, I decided to do some baby backs tonight. Sometimes, life gets in the way and you forget the simple things that are so good. My 28 yr old son will be joining me. Not sure if it will be a bourbon or beer evening, either way, I can't lose.

And of course, late summer brings an abundance of local sweet corn. Sometimes its good to be a midwesterner.
    I may be drunk, but in the morning, I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly...WC

Guru

I tried a new technique, yesterday. The recipe is from Weber but I did it in my new Big Green Egg.

I had four large boneless pork chops, about 2" thick. I made a brine solution of 2 C water, 3 T Kosher salt, and 1 T sugar. Brined the chops for about 2 hours. Dried them with paper towels, then rubbed them with freshly ground black pepper and rosemary leaves.

I set up the BGE for direct grilling and 400 deg F. Cooked the chops for 12 minutes per side with the lid closed. They were ever so slightly overcooked, but man, thay tasted really good.

Tim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I tried a new technique, yesterday. The recipe is from Weber but I did it in my new Big Green Egg.

I had four large boneless pork chops, about 2" thick. I made a brine solution of 2 C water, 3 T Kosher salt, and 1 T sugar. Brined the chops for about 2 hours. Dried them with paper towels, then rubbed them with freshly ground black pepper and rosemary leaves.

I set up the BGE for direct grilling and 400 deg F. Cooked the chops for 12 minutes per side with the lid closed. They were ever so slightly overcooked, but man, thay tasted really good.

Tim
    I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender. One of these days I am going to spring for a BGE myself and add it to the rest of my outdoor cooking lineup. I am sure it will make my wife happy, not.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Despite the rain today, i am just finishing up a couple racks of ribs and a bluefish filet. Looking and smelling good.

Guru

I tried a 5-lb fresh pork picnic on the Egg. My seasonings and sauce were huge successes, but my cooking was a failure. I tried to go "low and slow", but I didn't cook it long enough. I had to finish it off in the microwave after slicing it and deciding it was too raw to eat.

My dry rub was simple and wonderful. 1/3 cup Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard.

My sauce was "Almost Dreamland", a recipe I found on the web to emulate the sauce of the famous Dreamland rib place in Tuscaloosa, AL. The flavor came very close, but the balance was way too acidic. After the initial use, I added more sugar and more dark Karo syrup, cooked it a little more, and then it was just about perfect. The recipe is about a third of the way down this page: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

Tim

Advanced Taster

Tim,

Thanks for the link to that page of BBQ sauces. I see a few on there I might try.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender.
    Sounds great, Jim. I'll be trying your brine and grill method on the weekend. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    One of these days I am going to spring for a BGE myself and add it to the rest of my outdoor cooking lineup. I am sure it will make my wife happy, not.
    You can do no wrong, brother. As long as you're buying the BGE with love in your heart. (At least that's what I'd tell her!)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    steeltownbbq, I hope you don't mind me asking this question - when you reheat pulled pork in an electric roaster, what moisture (if any) and how much do you add to the pulled pork?
    I guess I need check in on the forum more often....

To answer DPPSmoker - I put a moderate amount of sauce on the pulled pork when I freeze it. It doesn't really need much additional suace/moisture when reheated. I ran into some folks this weekend who were at the party with the pre-cooked BBQ and they complemented it highly