Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Smoker report: modified my smoker to a run charcoal for grilling and cooked 100 + steaks for a large party. I have never grilled that quantity before, and all I could think was "I hope I don't screw up - they paid a lot of $$$ for this meat"

Came out OK - when I pulled out there were about 6 steaks left

Advanced Taster

Many thanks to all you guys on here for making me drool which finally pushed me to give this a shot for myself. I spent hours obsessing over Meathead's fantastic amazingribs.com site, and felt like it I might could make it work. With only a weber kettle, hover grill, and smokernator, it was time to smoke some butts. I must admit I got pretty cocky for my first smoke and committed to making pulled pork for a party of 40. Yikes, what am I getting myself in to? I got 25lbs of butts, and I had to rig the hell out of the weber to make it all fit, but success! The weber and smokernator did great, and I was able to keep 200-250 for a solid 13 hour run. Made it through the "stall" and got them up to 190. WOWOWOW. SO GOOD. I gotta do this more often!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weber.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	14077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulled pork.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	14076  
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Enthusiast

I'm a fan -- of Meathead, and the Smokenator. I find it easier to keep the temp consistent on my 27" Weber than on my 22", though. I think it might be like keeping an aquarium that way -- the more volume you have to work with, the harder it is to screw things up!

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Many thanks to all you guys on here for making me drool which finally pushed me to give this a shot for myself. I spent hours obsessing over Meathead's fantastic amazingribs.com site, and felt like it I might could make it work. With only a weber kettle, hover grill, and smokernator, it was time to smoke some butts. I must admit I got pretty cocky for my first smoke and committed to making pulled pork for a party of 40. Yikes, what am I getting myself in to? I got 25lbs of butts, and I had to rig the hell out of the weber to make it all fit, but success! The weber and smokernator did great, and I was able to keep 200-250 for a solid 13 hour run. Made it through the "stall" and got them up to 190. WOWOWOW. SO GOOD. I gotta do this more often!!!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    I'm a fan -- of Meathead, and the Smokenator. I find it easier to keep the temp consistent on my 27" Weber than on my 22", though. I think it might be like keeping an aquarium that way -- the more volume you have to work with, the harder it is to screw things up!
    Meathead is my neighbor and a very cool guy to drink beer with and shoot the shit over some BBQ. That boy knows his stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Meathead is my neighbor and a very cool guy to drink beer with and shoot the shit over some BBQ. That boy knows his stuff!
    I'd heard he lived in the 60513 -- a buddy of mine bumped into him at Tischler's.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Advanced Taster

Yeah, I've read that while some think the 22" Weber (what I have) works good, you have to spend a lot of time tending it. I wouldn't know as I've never done it any other way, but it didn't seem too bad to me. Early in the morning required more coals, but in the afternoon with the sun on the weber, I had a couple of nice long runs that lasted for 3-4 hours at a time.

If you see him anytime soon, tell him I said thanks!! While I am by no means an expert, his site helped me have a very successful first smoke.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Enthusiast

Three racks of baby back ribs going on the 27" Weber with Smokenator for what looks like it will end up being an indoor Q this afternoon. Five pounds of wings and 20 or so cheese-stuffed jalapenos will join in later.

Enthusiast

Bit of a fail -- for $1.88/pound, I should've expected that these mutant ribs (one rack was the full length of my kettle, 27 inches) would pose some issues. I could not get the dang membranes off, so for the first time in years I smoked them with them on. Made for rough and chewy and fatty ribs. Blech. (In hindsight, I should've scored the thing to help render some of the fat, at least.)

Good thing the wings, poppers, pizzas and shrimp were good so my crowd foregave me....

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Three racks of baby back ribs going on the 27" Weber with Smokenator for what looks like it will end up being an indoor Q this afternoon. Five pounds of wings and 20 or so cheese-stuffed jalapenos will join in later.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender. One of these days I am going to spring for a BGE myself and add it to the rest of my outdoor cooking lineup. I am sure it will make my wife happy, not.
    Did your brining yesterday for two hours before grilling the thin cut Sam's Club porkchops. They cooked up quickly (about 4-5 minutes a side) and then we cut the bones away to make porkchop sandwiches with a bit of BBQ sauce and freshly-made coleslaw on top. Juicy and delicious, as you said. Everybody loved 'em!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Did your brining yesterday for two hours before grilling the thin cut Sam's Club porkchops. They cooked up quickly (about 4-5 minutes a side) and then we cut the bones away to make porkchop sandwiches with a bit of BBQ sauce and freshly-made coleslaw on top. Juicy and delicious, as you said. Everybody loved 'em!
    I am glad you had success with the chops and honored that you tried my technique. Brining works wonders with lean cuts of meat including boneless skinless chicken breasts. I get a lot of my ideas from the great guys on smokingmeatforums.com.
    Jim