Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    I am glad you had success with the chops and honored that you tried my technique. Brining works wonders with lean cuts of meat including boneless skinless chicken breasts. I get a lot of my ideas from the great guys on smokingmeatforums.com.
    Funny you should say that, as one of my guests thought the same brining technique would be great with chicken. Will check it out on Saturday. I'm telling you, our spin on the Memphis-style pulled pork sandwich with slaw on top (substituting the de-boned porkchop) was absolutely killer! My wife even went a step further and added a few Trader Joe's bread and butter pickles on her sammie for some additional sweetness and crunch. Time to start a fast food chain 'cause we're on to somethin'!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I'm more of a griller than a smoker, but last weekend I smoked a chuck roast and then used it to make beef/vegetable soup. this weekend I'm doing a rump roast and plan on using it to make chili.

Enjoying some WT RR 101 while going back and forth between the grill and the computer.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I'm more of a griller than a smoker, but last weekend I smoked a chuck roast and then used it to make beef/vegetable soup. this weekend I'm doing a rump roast and plan on using it to make chili.

Enjoying some WT RR 101 while going back and forth between the grill and the computer.

Some of my favorite times are in the summer sitting outside with a nice glass of bourbon and a good cigar while babysitting my smoker. I have never had any luck smoking rump roasts, let us know how yours turned out.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    Some of my favorite times are in the summer sitting outside with a nice glass of bourbon and a good cigar while babysitting my smoker. I have never had any luck smoking rump roasts, let us know how yours turned out.

Cooked it at 220 for a couple hours. Pulled it off at an internal temp of 145. After resting I sliced enough off for two sandwiches and used the meat to make chili the next day, sliced it and then diced the slices. the sandwiches and the chili were good

I wouldn't say I smoked it. More like slow roasted. As the meat lost moisture and began to firm up I got nervous and decided to take it off when it was a little more than medium rare. Did the same thing with the chuck roast last week.

What's the deal. How do you guys cook something for so many hours and get it to fall apart like a pot roast that's been in a crock pot all day, without it getting dry. I gotta admit I'm totally confused about this.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 09-12-2012 at 16:56.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Cooked it at 220 for a couple hours. Pulled it off at an internal temp of 145. After resting I sliced enough off for two sandwiches and used the meat to make chili the next day, sliced it and then diced the slices. the sandwiches and the chili were good

I wouldn't say I smoked it. More like slow roasted. As the meat lost moisture and began to firm up I got nervous and decided to take it off when it was a little more than medium rare. Did the same thing with the chuck roast last week.

What's the deal. How do you guys cook something for so many hours and get it to fall apart like a pot roast that's been in a crock pot all day, without it getting dry. I gotta admit I'm totally confused about this.
    I have my best results when smoking cuts that have some fat running through them. I like to smoke pork butts, spare ribs, and beef brisket. These cuts have fat in them while rump roasts and pork loins are fairly lean. When you smoke the fattier cuts of meat low and slow you give the meat muscles time to break down while the surrounding fat helps keep it moist. The slow roasting was probably the best method for the rump roast along with not letting the IT get over 145.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I like smoking, slow roasting and drying hot peppers that I grind up and use throughout the year.
    I use hickory chunks in a Weber, move the coals to one side and put the peppers on the cool side. Some get roasted more than others and they all taste fantastic.

The smoky flavor is incredible and we put it in soups, chowders, pizza, baked beans, you name it. I eat some every day. I made a sauce to drizzle on pan seared tuna steaks (rare) with toasted sesame oil, tamari, rice wine vinegar, mirin and some of this ground smoked pepper and it was one of the best things I ate all year.

Here's a pic of some before and after smoking/roasting. It's hard to tell from the crappy iPhone pic but they get this beautiful patina, like lacquered red leather.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peppers.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	14236

If you have some time to kill on the grill, toss a few peppers on there and smoke 'em up.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Luna56; 09-27-2012 at 21:34.

Advanced Taster

What are you cookin on the smoker?

What temp do you smoke them at?
    I did some jalapeņos a long time ago and they didn't dry out but were very smokey and not in a good way

Advanced Taster

It was so nice outside today I decided to smoke a chicken. I used my Weber kettle grill instead of firing up my big smoker for one yardbird. Sitting outside with a cigar and a bourbon and coke while tending the smoker is one of my favorite summertime activities. I smoked it for about 2 1/2 hours at 300. The skin was crisp, the darkness was the spice rub which blackened during the smoke. The skin on the legs pulled back while smoking which made for an ugly bird but the end result tasted great. I paired the smoked chicken with some red beans and rice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smokin weber.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	15116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ugly bird.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	15117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dinner.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	15118
    Jim

Guru

I tried to smoke half a turkey breast in the old flowerpot on Saturday. Thought 6 hrs at 200-250 would be enough, but it wasn't and I had to finish it up in the oven. Took longer than expected there too. I was afraid it would dry by the time it made it to a safe internal temp, but it was perfect. Cut it up and made burritos. As my daughter said, it was "Delishush".
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I made a fatty last Friday. Details in this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...370#post335370
    Pete

I hate scotch.