Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Recent app night to go with some Manhattans and Old Fashioneds.

1) ABT (atomic buffalo turds) - jalapenos cored and sliced lengthwise. Stuffed with cream cheese, finely shredded cheddar, bbq rub, garlic, pepper mixture and topped with 1/3 slice of bacon. Smoked until bacon is crisp with apple wood.

2) Smoked Wings. Wing tips off. Basic BBQ rub. Apple wood smoked until skin crisp and fat rendered at about 325. Sauced and put back on the smoker for ten minutes

Sauce- 1/3 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup Siracha sauce heated and thoroughly mixed

Both were outstanding with cocktails.

Connoisseur

I've been curing a 5 lb slab of pork belly for a week. Trying a maple cure this time (salt, curing salt, dark brown sugar, and maple syrup). Going to smoke it Sunday with hickory and apple wood.

Enthusiast

Both the above posts sound tasty!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    I've been curing a 5 lb slab of pork belly for a week. Trying a maple cure this time (salt, curing salt, dark brown sugar, and maple syrup). Going to smoke it Sunday with hickory and apple wood.
    dave wonder how some Maple Crown would work in that cure?

Advanced Taster

Anybody ever try smoking corned beef brisket? I'm thinking its basically just a heavily marinated brisket. Anyway - I'm going to give it a try on Sunday.

Enthusiast

I've heard that doesn't go too well, unless you're expecting smokey corned beef. Then it probably works awesomely.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

I have been recovering from eye surgeries (lens replacement in both eyes); last night was my first cookout for the past few weeks.

I decided to try a different cooking method for my chicken pieces on my large Big Green Egg. I have been getting pretty good results cooking directly over the fire at 400F for about 20 to 24 minutes. However, the last time one of those huge modern chicken breasts (one of my pet peeves) did not get completely done and had to be finished in the microwave. So this time I cooked them indirect at 350-375F for one hour. Man, they were good! Perfectly crispy brown on the outside and thoroughly roasted and juicy on the inside.

The seasoning I used as a dry rub was Cajun Injector lemon pepper seasoning.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

What are you cookin on the smoker?

Congrats on the new lenses Tim. Cools stuff. Sky's a bit bluer these days

Some spares went on the smoker this morning. They were good

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownbbq View Post
    Anybody ever try smoking corned beef brisket? I'm thinking its basically just a heavily marinated brisket. Anyway - I'm going to give it a try on Sunday.
    I have done it many times. It is quite good. I put cold water in a large stainless pot and soak the corned beef for 2-3 hours and change the water each hour. Then I pat the meat dry with paper towels. Next a place a healthy dose of garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper on the outside. I smoke until it reaches 150-160 internal and then foil until it hits 190 internal. It is usually very tender but still sliceable at this point. I then let it rest about 40 minutes uncovered and then slice thin. It is now Pastrami! (smoked corned meat) Some people like the rub to be ground corriander and pepper. Give it a try!

Guru

Hadn't thought of doing my own pastrami, very interesting.