Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    dave wonder how some Maple Crown would work in that cure?
    Interesting thought, though I'm not sure I'd have much use for the leftover Maple Crown. I thought about throwing some bourbon in there, but sorta doubt you'd be able to detect it after being smoked.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Interesting thought, though I'm not sure I'd have much use for the leftover Maple Crown. I thought about throwing some bourbon in there, but sorta doubt you'd be able to detect it after being smoked.
    I got some as a gift and am inventing ways to use it. Marinade for pork seems logical. Also a shot called a "McGriddle" great for tailgating. 50/50 Crown Maple and Butterscotch schnapps w an OJ chaser. Otherwise the stuff is pretty useless

Connoisseur

Last night I butterflied a pork tenderloin, stuffed with sour cream, jalapenos, and cheddar cheese. I closed it back up and wrapped it in bacon and threw it on the Big Green Egg with a little Mesquite and Apple wood smoke. Finished with indirect heat. Made a fantastic dinner, the bacon and pork took the smoke nicely, but it was not over the top. Definitely one to try again.

My wife and I just bought our son and DIL a present. The pic below shows it in use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grill.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	15203  
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    My wife and I just bought our son and DIL a present. The pic below shows it in use.
    That's an Aussie BBQ Joe

Enthusiast

Tried some chicken thighs and pork tenderloins yesterday, half rubbed BBQ style,mother other half with olive oil, garlic, and herbs. Damn, did they take the smoke fast! Turned out good, though, just a little smoke heavy. Good leftovers ready for a busy week.

Enthusiast

Slow start to the smoking season -- smoked an already smoked ham and a mess of wings two weekends ago for a family gathering. Was struck again by the way in which tending to the "pit" (a Weber with a Smokenator) for hours desensitizes me to the smoky flavor of the food the day of the smoke. But then when I reheat 'em, the smoke alarm practically goes off and the house smells like magic.

More wings and some baby backs on tap for this weekend.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Advanced Taster

Tomorrow, I'm going to get my first smoke in this year. Michigan has had a nasty cold and wet spring so far so there hasn't been a good opportunity to smoke until tomorrow.

I'm going to smoke two 8 pound butts, a 4 pound brisket flat, some boneless chicken breasts for the kids and some ABTs.

I'm also looking forward to making some homemade bbq sauce. I'm going to get my three kids to help me. I have never spent any time attempting to make my own sauce because there are too many good sauces out there - it's just too easy to purchase them rather than make the effort to whip one up myself. But I went to a bbq joint a month ago and they made a bbq sauce that used Kona coffee grounds. It was the best bbq sauce I ever had. I found this coffee bourbon bbq sauce recipe - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html. I'm going to follow the exact recipe and then I'll tweak future batches for my own taste.

I'll do my best to take pics.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Was struck again by the way in which tending to the "pit" (a Weber with a Smokenator) for hours desensitizes me to the smoky flavor of the food the day of the smoke.
    I have the same problem.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Simple homemade sauce with a little of Kentucky's finest.

1 1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup bourbon of choice
    1/3 cup honey
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    Lots of freshly cracked pepper to taste

Bring ingredients to a boil while stirring frequently then turn down to simmer for 15 minutes. Keeps in fridge for several weeks. I like to put it on ribs or chicken thighs for about 10 minutes at the end of my cooks to set the sauce.