Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Did a shoulder today, with a NC vinager-y sauce, slaw and beans. Threw some bluefish in as well. Turned out great. GF made a strawberry tart, and I'm topping it off with a Cuban Partagas #4. Good day.

Enthusiast

Working on a brisket on the BGE for my nephew's HS graduation party tomorrow. Got a little cocky with the "set it and forget it" concept -- went to dinner downtown, then to a friend's to watch the latter half of the Black Hawks' game. Came home after five and a half hours away to find the fire had gone out and the big hunk o' beef down to 107 degrees. The relight and cook is underway....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

Looks like this is where the gurus gather

Tried my first pulled pork today in a weber kettle. Pretty successful but a few questions for the illuminati...

I set up and ran with approx 225-250F for the cook, as pretty chuffed I managed that with zero practice! I knew about the stall around 150-160F and rode that out fine.

However I seemed to hit a second stall at 180F. Finally had to pull it off after 10.5 hour cook and had been anchored on 180F for the final 2.5 hrs. Can anyone advise a newbie what happened? I was aiming to go through to a final temp of 195-200F. I checked the kettle temp and the meat temp with a couple of different thermometers and they were consistent so I'm pretty sure I was in the ballpark.

Not sure what difference final temp would have made. The pork was flavourful and pulled pretty easily as far as I can tell. I thought it could be more tender though...
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

Did you foil? Often on my kettle I will foil at 170 or so until it hits 200. I will then rest it in a cooler for an hour or two, and then pull. If you are running out of coals after the foil you can also just throw it in the oven. All you need is a heat source at this stage. If the coals are still working well then by all means keep it on the kettle for the foil stage too.

Connoisseur

Hi GB

No I didn't foil. I read it was better to keep it simple first time out and try not to get in the kettle much at all.

Kettle was still sitting solid as a rock at 228F 30 minutes after I took the pork out. I closed it all down at that point to save whatever fuel was left.

I wrapped the pork in foil and rested for a bit over an hour before pulling.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

Hi to you Pieface. It sounds like the most important part was the good taste you achieved. If you can keep the faith and keep the pork on the kettle until it hits 195 or 200 I think you will hit a new stage of tenderness. The foil rest for an hour or two is great. To play devil's advocate some old timers I know never foil at any stage because they feel it ruins the bark. I tend to like the tenderness I gain with foil more than super crunchy bark so I use the method I previously mentioned. Glad to hear about another Weber enthusiast trying some new things.

Advanced Taster

Sid my first go at armadillo eggs. Didn't want to cut up a bunch of jalapenos, so I used larger chilies. Made the frau one with a poblano, two with anaheim peppers for me, one with a banana for a buddy stopping by later. Just pulled them off the grill and they look fantastic.
    Last edited by elbowguru; 06-12-2013 at 18:36.

Disciple

Has anyone ever played around with pipe tobacco on the wood at the end to flavor the smoke? A co-worker asked me about this the other day and I'd never heard of it.

Guru

Tonight's cook was fabulous! Baby back ribs on the Big Green Egg. 1) Liberally dry rubbed with equal parts Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, and brown sugar. 2) Smoked (with hickory chunks) at 250-280 for three hours. 3) Wrapped in foil and add a sauce of 3 T butter, 3 T bourbon, 1/2 C apple cider. Sprinkled the rack liberally with brown sugar. Wrapped up tight and put the foil package back on the grill for one more hour.

I have made some pretty darned good ribs many times before, but these were my best. I got the recipe from Stephen Raichlen's TV show, this morning.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Has anyone ever played around with pipe tobacco on the wood at the end to flavor the smoke? A co-worker asked me about this the other day and I'd never heard of it.
    As the fictional character Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy said, "that idea has promise."
    Pete

I hate scotch.