Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

I agree with Squire, although I find a very cold beer is almost as good.

To Tiger, your first smoke ring is always the one that gets you the most excited, but now you'll try to get deeper and deeper smoke rings. It's just the way it goes.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post
    This is my first post here and my second time I did a smoke beef ribs with my hack up smoking rig.

I always love BBQ beef ribs and always had to have it every time I go to Texas. So I was thrill this came out perfect.

See image of the monster ribs and the nice smoke ring. I am so happy to be able to do this. And I didn't have to buy a smoker which I was contemplating just a couple of days ago.

Dry rub, smoke 4-5 hours then finish with bourbon based BBQ sauce and another 30 minutes of low and slow.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Those are some beautiful looking beef ribs Hugh. Very difficult to find in these parts. You got me both jealous and hungry .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Originally Posted by Bourbon BoilerHas anyone ever played around with pipe tobacco on the wood at the end to flavor the smoke? A co-worker asked me about this the other day and I'd never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    As the fictional character Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy said, "that idea has promise."
    I think I'm going to get a chance to try it this weekend. I'll post results.

Enthusiast

Sweet! I was going to try it last week, but I didn't have any baccy on hand and there wasn't time to go to the store.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

What are you cookin on the smoker?

Hey guys. Still hoping to hear what thermometers you recommend for the smoker and your meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

If I could afford it, I'd have a Maverick ET-732. Because I can't, I used a laboratory thermometer to verify a thermometer taken off a junked gas grill, and I use one of those little (quarter sized at best) dial thermometers for the internal temp. I verified that one with room temp and boiling water.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Enthusiast

Did four pounds of chicken wings for a small family gathering today. Pretty basic -- I toss the wings in some "wok oil" (for garlic and sesame flavor), then dump in some of my basic BBQ rub and shake 'til coated. Ran them in the Smokenator on the 27" Weber for a touch over two hours. Dang tasty as always, yep.

Outside of the Q realm...wife and I made a few small pizzas on the BGE at 700+ degrees last night. Pizza stone broke in two pieces under the stress of the heat. I'd been warned that not just any stone could take the kind of heat that the Egg generates, and this confirmed it. Better last night then some time when we're feeding a crowd -- time to buy a new, higher quality pizza stone.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

Sounds tasty. I smoked baby backs on the smoker today; it was a practice run for the family get-together on the 4th of July. They came out alright, but I'm going to do a couple things differently on the 4th.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Enthusiast

A couple racks of St. Louis ribs yesterday, despite intermittent rain that started just as the fire got ready. And for unclebunk, I use a Maverick EC-732 for smoker temp and food temp for big chunks o meat, and a Thermoworks RT600N-C instant read for just about everything.

Guru

Lart night was those "country ribs" for me. I brined them for an hour, dry rubbed with Tony Chachere's, and roasted for an hour at 300 F (direct heat) in the Big Green Egg with hickory chunks added. Slathered with Stubbs sauce in the last minutes. They were some of the best I've made.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur