Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Tim did you use a rub on that?
    Yes. I used a mixed rub of half McCormick's Montreal Seasoning for Chicken and half Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Inside the chicken and outside.

@Troyce - I don't even have a ThermoPen. I just follow the instructions (often from Steven Raichlen's books) and most things still come out perfect.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

I've tried some new things on the smoker myself recently. The first one that turned out really well were duck leg quarters. They're not as meaty as the breasts but much cheaper. I brined them and then rubbed them with a Rogan Josh curry powder. I then scored the skin and smoked them skin side down over a mix of apple and mesquite. They turned out really great. Even my wife who doesn't normally like duck thought they were great.

The other notable new (to me) smoker material was a tri-tip roast. I rubbed it with cajun seasoning and Ancho chili powder and then smoked it over mesquite for 6-7 hours I think. I then stuck in in the fridge for a couple days. Then yesterday I got it up to room temp and then seared it in a steel pan all around. Turned out great. Perfectly Medium rare on the inside with a nice crust on the outside. Served it with home made blue potato fries. It was a great meal and I even have some left over for a sandwich today!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

@josh, I have heard a lot about the tri-tips, but I have yet to see one. I don't go to a lot of stores, but I do go to a fairly "high end" store. Maybe I should ask them about it again.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

It's a Cali thing. I believe it's from the sirloin but back this way they cut it into different pieces. I've done them before and it can be a delicious cut and pretty forgiving to work with. If you've got a good butcher they can cut it for you or order it. Give it a shot.

Edit: if you get one google "Santa Maria Tri-Tip" for cooking tips.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    @josh, I have heard a lot about the tri-tips, but I have yet to see one. I don't go to a lot of stores, but I do go to a fairly "high end" store. Maybe I should ask them about it again.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    It's a Cali thing. I believe it's from the sirloin but back this way they cut it into different pieces. I've done them before and it can be a delicious cut and pretty forgiving to work with. If you've got a good butcher they can cut it for you or order it. Give it a shot.

Edit: if you get one google "Santa Maria Tri-Tip" for cooking tips.
    I got mine at Trader Joe's. They seem to always have some, maybe because the company is based in California. According to their website, the closest locations to Pelham, AL are in Atlanta, so it might be best to use the suggestion Old Dusty made.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Left the BGE in the garage today and opted instead to use a Weber-Smokenator combo to do up some baby backs. Three hours in, they're looking great....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

Bourbon=FR 2013 1B LE
    Food= boneless pork tenderloin slathered in spicy mustard and coated with Weber BBQ rub
    Fire=weeknight so seared then roasted on the Genesis.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Pulled the egg out for a frenched rack of lamb. Used a Dijon mustard based spread of garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary to coat the rack. Got the egg up to temp, seared all sides and pulled the rack. Got the egg to indirect temp of 400 and roasted the rack to 130 internal temp. Rested for 5 minutes. Perfect Med Rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Nicely done! Great advert for the BGE.

Enthusiast

Just discovered this thread and lovin it, might motivate me to finally get a kamado style cooker.
    I have been makin do with a combo spit/charcoal grill that Ive retrofitted with a lid to make a basic smoker, works well enough for simple stuff.

Smoked up some homegrown cherry tomatoes and oysters on the weekend over a combination of rosemary and redgum. Cooked the tomatoes indirectly for about half an hour before throwing the soaked wood/rosemary on along with the oysters for 10mins of smoking. Served up on rye bread with a splash or extravirgin olive oil and a glass of sherry. Tomatoes were great, almost whisky like!