Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    @josh, I have heard a lot about the tri-tips, but I have yet to see one. I don't go to a lot of stores, but I do go to a fairly "high end" store. Maybe I should ask them about it again.

Tim
    As Dusty said in a previous post, tri-tips are a Cali thing. They smoke and grill them out there like they are going out of style. I had the same problem with locating tri-tip in Michigan. The one place I could find it, it cost $8 per pound. I love tri-tip but not at $8 per pound. A year ago, I got a membership to Costco and they had tri-tip at $5 per pound. I bought a case. When I got it home, I vacuum sealed one or two tri-tips per package and put them in the freezer. One of my best buys ever. My kids devour tri-tip. It's easy for them to cut and there is next to no fat for them to cut around. Best of all, it has a great beef flavor whether you grill or smoke it.

Advanced Taster

My local butcher sells tri-tips, and he marinates them in a "black nugget" marinade. I sear them on my grill (4-5 min. on each side), and then toss it on the other side of the grill away from the flame for about 20 min. This is a great tasting piece of meat. I never thought to try it on my smoker though. Thanks for the idea!

Virtuoso

Two turkeys, one from yesterday turned out great and one smoking now in the Camp Chef Vault.

I did use a marinade, then injection and finally on the Camp Chef roaster while smoking to get internal to 145C. At the party, a final 45 min at 400C with skin buttered to heat and crisp before serving.

Advanced Taster

Did the thanksgiving turkey in the smoker as usual. Brined it for about 12 hours first. Also did a bacon explosion in the smoker.

Enthusiast

We salted ("dry brined") our 14-pound fresh bird and then smoke roasted it on the BGE with pecan wood during our Saturday T-giving celebration. Also did a five-pound beef tenderloin on the Weber kettle with rotisserie. Both turned out great. Much better grilling weather in the Chicago area then if we'd had the family over on the actual holiday.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

Was reading through some of the posts looking for some inspiration, saw the tri tip discussion and decided to have a go. Headed over to trader joes grabbed 2 smaller roasts. Did one with garlic salt and black pepper, the other with a dizzy dust beef rub. BGE with some pecan and mesquite smoke. Reverse sear method, indirect 250, pulled them at 125 internal, wrapped in foil while the grill got hot for a direct sear. About 2 minutes a side direct after ter the fire got going.

Overall, very impressed, very flavorful cut of meat. Garlic salt and pepper won out over the rub, but both were great. I'd recommend trying one if you haven't.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Was reading through some of the posts looking for some inspiration, saw the tri tip discussion and decided to have a go. Headed over to trader joes grabbed 2 smaller roasts. Did one with garlic salt and black pepper, the other with a dizzy dust beef rub. BGE with some pecan and mesquite smoke. Reverse sear method, indirect 250, pulled them at 125 internal, wrapped in foil while the grill got hot for a direct sear. About 2 minutes a side direct after ter the fire got going.

Overall, very impressed, very flavorful cut of meat. Garlic salt and pepper won out over the rub, but both were great. I'd recommend trying one if you haven't.
    Good to hear they turned out well!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

I know the "seal in the juices" theory of early sear has been debunked, but I just can't bring myself to do the reverse sear. Got to get over the fear and just do it.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

Think I'm going to try this. But why pecan? Where do you find it?

And TJ's meat frightens me so your positive experience does help.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I know the "seal in the juices" theory of early sear has been debunked, but I just can't bring myself to do the reverse sear. Got to get over the fear and just do it.
    As long as the cut is reasonably thick, reverse sear in my opinion is the only way to go. Unless of Couse you've got restaurant quality equipment at your house. As long as you have a good thermometer to monitor the low temperature part of the cook and pull it about 10 degrees before your desired done-ness, you'll be fine.

Here's a solid article on it . . .

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...erse_sear.html