Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    Thank you for the compliments. I've shared some of my sausages with family and friends and they are now making requests for the next time I make them. I want to do it again sometime this winter. I'll probably make a small gathering out of it just to have an excuse to drink some bourbon and beer.
    Uh, want to adopt me? I'm clean, good at doing dishes, and don't eat much (although your bourbon supply may need to be locked up).

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Another great pork butt on the smoker Saturday while I was continuing my yard project of building a retaining wall and planter. You know how motivating and satisfying it is to do heavy lifting with the delicious smell of smoked meat wafting through the air?! I am finally getting comfortable doing the pork, so much so, I didn't need to text my two coaches (callmeox and T_Comp) for info during the process!

Next, I try a brisket. Based on what Ive heard about its difficulty, I'll be going in with expectations of total failure , and will have the pizza guys phone number close by. So, I got that going for me...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

So how long do you let that Pork butt go? How big is it? I only ask because we have been wanting to try one out, same goes with the brisket. I did some turkey thighs last night, let them go for about 2 hrs.,@ around 200* and tried me some Sugar maple this time....mmmmm, I guess my smoker isn't a true smoker more like a slow cooker/smoker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooker.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	20862 I built a few of these around 8 yrs or so ago, and I love it, you can't cook anything fast on it unless you really build a big fire,I was doing a rotisserie chicken in this pic. We are thinking about the pork butt or the brisket for this weekend. I generally use hickory, but have sugar maple and oak on hand for different meats. I was talking with a client the other day, and we started in about smoking, I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Apprentice

15# of Canadian/Back bacon, smoked with Pecan & Cherry. 1.5 days of cold smoke then finished to temp.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    So how long do you let that Pork butt go? How big is it? I only ask because we have been wanting to try one out, same goes with the brisket. I did some turkey thighs last night, let them go for about 2 hrs.,@ around 200* and tried me some Sugar maple this time....mmmmm, I guess my smoker isn't a true smoker more like a slow cooker/smoker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooker.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	20862 I built a few of these around 8 yrs or so ago, and I love it, you can't cook anything fast on it unless you really build a big fire,I was doing a rotisserie chicken in this pic. We are thinking about the pork butt or the brisket for this weekend. I generally use hickory, but have sugar maple and oak on hand for different meats. I was talking with a client the other day, and we started in about smoking, I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.
    It was just under 6 lbs. 7 hrs on the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker at 275 degrees. Eating leftovers right now for lunch!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.
    Hmmmm. This person in California uses red oak and would worry about grape vines giving a bitter taste.

The great thing about pork butt is that you get to eat your mistakes when you are learning how to smoke things. It is also pretty cheap. Brisket and others meats are closer to straight-up ruined by poor smoking technique. Getting brisket right is really hard. I am the voice of experience on that issue at least. Still have not gotten a brisket right.

One thing I learned is that wrapping the pork butt with foil about halfway through the smoking process is key to keep it moist and prevent over-flavoring. I don't have a set time to leave it in there, but rather try to get the meat up to 225 using a meat thermometer.

I am no authority, but this is the little that I do know. I am sure there are others on here with way more experience and they might tell me I am dead wrong.

Apprentice

Lots of good help on the Smoking Meat Forums.