Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Think I'm going to try this. But why pecan? Where do you find it?

And TJ's meat frightens me so your positive experience does help.
    Pecan burns a little cooler and adds a similar fruity flavor without the sweetness like apple or cherry in my opinion. It works really well with poultry, fish, and it did pretty well on the beef when mixed with the mesquite. I get chunks of it at the local ace hardware.

As for Trader Joes, I don't shop there often, never really bought meat there before either, but the tri tip in the south isn't exactly a popular cut like it is out west, so it was the only place local that I had a reasonable guarantee they would have them in stock. That being said, both were nice cuts, well trimmed and marbled. Next time with some more lead time I may call the local butcher as they didn't have any cuts over 2 lbs which is why I bought 2. I would have rather done 1 larger, but it worked out fine. That being said, the TJ meat was good, no issues going back for more for me.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Pecan burns a little cooler and adds a similar fruity flavor without the sweetness like apple or cherry in my opinion. It works really well with poultry, fish, and it did pretty well on the beef when mixed with the mesquite. I get chunks of it at the local ace hardware.

As for Trader Joes, I don't shop there often, never really bought meat there before either, but the tri tip in the south isn't exactly a popular cut like it is out west, so it was the only place local that I had a reasonable guarantee they would have them in stock. That being said, both were nice cuts, well trimmed and marbled. Next time with some more lead time I may call the local butcher as they didn't have any cuts over 2 lbs which is why I bought 2. I would have rather done 1 larger, but it worked out fine. That being said, the TJ meat was good, no issues going back for more for me.
    I did a tri tip a few months ago from Trader Joes, and it was wonderful. Like what you saw Mark, it was smaller than what I was looking for, but very tasty.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

The kid was out in Sacramento for a couple turns in Americorps and he fell in love with tri-tip out there. We haven't found a butcher in our area who will carve one for us, so its good to know that TJ's will do it.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    The kid was out in Sacramento for a couple turns in Americorps and he fell in love with tri-tip out there. We haven't found a butcher in our area who will carve one for us, so its good to know that TJ's will do it.
    There is a local butcher near me that sells a tri-tip marinated in a black nugget marinade. It is unbelievable. Let me know if you make it to the Southwest suburbs of Cleveland, and I will give you the name, address and phone.

Enthusiast

All TJ's meat is private label for them (CO, NE or CA?) and comes in these weird puffy trays. Watch the exp date on it because who knows how long it was sitting in transition, in some warehouse, truck, stockroom, etc. Their fish is definitely a pass.

I've done tri tip before but I didn't have an Egg at the time. Thanks for the motivation on it. I have a ton of apple but no pecan. Always looking to try something new.

Guru

TJ's Tri-tips and the other steaks are sold in vacuum packs, at least around here.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    TJ's Tri-tips and the other steaks are sold in vacuum packs, at least around here.
    Same here (at least the tri-tip) was.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Check that, you guys are right. It's the other stuff they sell like brats or steaks that gets the puffy tray treatment.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yup. TJs in WashDC, too, have tri-tips. If they don't have it, ask. They can accommodate. But, in my experience, so can Wegmans if you are lucky enough to be near one. FWIW, using a 22.5" Weber with a Smokenator insert, this year I've done tri-tips, a beef brisket (even though I had to get up at OMG 6AM to start it which is way too early to drink), Baltimore pit beef, and of course spare ribs. The tri-tips were a nice change from "ordinary" grilling/smoking.

Connoisseur

Pulled the egg out this weekend for some ribs. 2 Slabs of Baby Backs (vacuum packed ones from Costco, so convenient-pre prepped, no membrane, just open, rinse and rub), put the extra slab in the freezer for a later date. Cut each slab in half to make the positioning on the egg easier. 225 degrees for the first 3 hours and about 250 for the last 2.5. Local grocery store had Jack Daniels Barrel Chunks on close out, so bought a bag to try them out. Got a grooved Sinatra barrel chunck in my bag, definitely tossed that one in the fire because it was special .

Used Strickland's Pork rub on one slab and Butt Rub on the other. Served one half of each dry and the other halves got sauced and put back on the egg for 15 minutes.

Ribs turned out nice, the Jack Daniel's chunks did all right, but in my opinion didn't really add anything special to the process. Probably why they were on closeout.