Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you cookin on the smoker?

Hi folks. I got a DPP Fat 50 smoker. My cooking got much better the day I got that smoker. I just smoked 70 pounds of pork butts for my nephew's graduation party two weeks ago. I also did two racks of St. Louis ribs (I also use the Johnny Trigg method) and some ABT's. I got tons of compliments on the pulled pork. I used a few techniques that I learned at a bbq cooking class that I attended last year and my pulled pork has certainly taken a few steps forward. I have been pleased with the results.

I'm new here so I will try to post some pics and see how they post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110514Pictures037.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	13724 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090729Pictures026.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	13725

Name:	20110514Pictures042.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	13726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110514Pictures040.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	13727

Name:	20090729Pictures032.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	13728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090729Pictures033.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	13729

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Lookin real good J
    Thanks Reid. I was really happy with the shoulder , it was the first one I've attempted. Think I might invest in a purpose built smoker soon instead of relying on the kettle.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Do you feel the ice bath is the way to go if you are going to freeze? Do you ice bath right off the smoker? Thanks
    The ice bath worked great. I packed the pulled pork into about 5 lb bags, and I wanted them cooled quickly. After a couple of hours in a cooler full of ice and water they were cold and ready for the freezer.

Sure don't want to risk getting people sick

I always let the butts sit in a Cambro for a couple of hours after I take them from the smoker... then pull. We chilled the meat as we pulled it.

Taster

Just picked up two slabs of Berkshire baby back ribs...just a tad over 3 pounds of meat for 3 people. Any good rubs or bourbon recipes I can incorporate? Haven't had a chance to light up my Weber Smokey Mountain since last fall, so I'm really looked forward to inhaling some of that nice smokey pork goodness. Oh, and I have a bag of apple wood and a bag of mesquite. Any strong opinions on either?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Apple wood for the ribs is my recomendation. Sometimes I mix bourbon and apple juice in a spritzer bottle to spritz the ribs while on the WSM. Don't know if it adds flavor, but it smells nice. And an internet search will turn up many easy-to-make BBQ sauces incorporating bourbon. A quick BBQ sauce is to reduce 1/2 cup of bourbon down to less than 1/4 cup and add to your favorite store bought sauce.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Apple wood for the ribs is my recomendation. Sometimes I mix bourbon and apple juice in a spritzer bottle to spritz the ribs while on the WSM. Don't know if it adds flavor, but it smells nice. And an internet search will turn up many easy-to-make BBQ sauces incorporating bourbon. A quick BBQ sauce is to reduce 1/2 cup of bourbon down to less than 1/4 cup and add to your favorite store bought sauce.
    Thanks for the tip. Applewood it is. I have a go-to rub that I may go with on one slab, and get experimental on the other.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by passthebourbon View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Applewood it is. I have a go-to rub that I may go with on one slab, and get experimental on the other.
    If your using a WSM I'd stay away from mesqite for smoking as there is just not enough air flow in and out to prevent bitterness from creeping in. Much better for direct grilling.

I'm smoking 2 pork butts for the first run on my new 22 inch WSM and yes it ran a bit hot the first 2 hours (up to 300) but now got it chugging away at 260. Due to the WSM being unseasoned I'm using a full water pan and shade from a patio table umbrella too. The butts are for my cousin's party tomorrow so for dinner I'm going to do a small Rib Eye roast on a direct cook (no pan at all) with my old 18.5 inch WSM.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    Hi folks. I got a DPP Fat 50 smoker. My cooking got much better the day I got that smoker. I just smoked 70 pounds of pork butts for my nephew's graduation party two weeks ago. I also did two racks of St. Louis ribs (I also use the Johnny Trigg method) and some ABT's. I got tons of compliments on the pulled pork. I used a few techniques that I learned at a bbq cooking class that I attended last year and my pulled pork has certainly taken a few steps forward. I have been pleased with the results.

I'm new here so I will try to post some pics and see how they post.

Name:	20110514Pictures037.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	13724 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090729Pictures026.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	13725

Name:	20110514Pictures042.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	13726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110514Pictures040.jpg 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	13727

Name:	20090729Pictures032.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	13728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090729Pictures033.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	13729
    Looks excellent ! Great job.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Novice

Cooked up several pounds of short ribs on the BGE yesterday (Sunday). Rubbed, hickory-smoked for a couple of hours and then slow-cooked another 3 hours in beef broth and bourbon (Old Fitzgerald 1849). Finished with a bourbon and honey glaze made with the juices from the ribs. Cook short ribs long enough at a low temp and they melt in your mouth!

Advanced Taster

steeltownbbq, I hope you don't mind me asking this question - when you reheat pulled pork in an electric roaster, what moisture (if any) and how much do you add to the pulled pork?

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownbbq View Post
    Since you asked...last Saturday cooked 10 pork butts, a pan of beans and a couple of racks of ribs for the help. Didn't take any pictures

Cooked for a small party Sat nite and a large one next week when I'm scheduled to work and some extra for the freezer. Pulled the pork, vacuum packed and quick cooled in ice bath and put in freezer. It will reheat in an electric roaster and taste like it just came off of the fire.