Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Guru

Re: How Did You Break Your Glencairn Today Thread

Ser Jimmie the Glassslayer. Has a ring to it.

Connoisseur

Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'.
    That said, here's my tale of woe...
    My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.
    Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way????

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'.
    That said, here's my tale of woe...
    My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.
    Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way????
    That sounds more like it got very hot and suddenly cooled, or that there was a flaw in the glass that the expansion or contraction of the glass when being washed made worse. There's a slight chance that it got an extra wash from the maid if, for example, she dripped some soap on it when cleaning the sink and rinsed it off in the hot water.

Over many years, a theater crew that I volunteer with has thrown massive parties with many glencairns washed by the sink at hotels up and down the East Coast. Once they're upside down for a few minutes, they get dried and put back into protective packaging, and not left out for the maids.

We've never had the maids mess with out stuff (we go out of our way to make friends with them, and tip them personally (and generously) instead of just leaving tips on the table at the end of our stay. Little known fact: if you only leave tips on the last day of a multi-day stay, only the last maid gets the tip -- spread the tip out every day, and they'll appreciate it just as much. Tip higher, and sometimes nice things happen.

Disciple

Left it too close to my four year old's backpack. When she grabbed her bag and slid it off the table, the glass went flying and shattered. I laughed and had to explain long and hard that it was an accident, I wasn't angry, and she wasn't in trouble. For some reason she must think that Daddy really loves those glasses ...

Virtuoso

One month of use and haven't broken one yet but it's only a matter of time

Finally got the 3 month old asleep tonight and was easing into the couch with her. Elbowed a GC full of WTAS15 all over the floor. Woke the baby who screamed at me while I cleaned the glass and bourbon off the floor. Round 2 went better- with some airtime this stuff is growing on me. At least the room smells like bourbon: last time it was a glass full of young Islay and my wife was mad for a week.

Connoisseur

Enjoyed some KC SB and, as I was putting it away, knocked my Glencairn onto the hardwood. It bounced a couple of times and rolled behind the draperies. Buy it didn't break! WooHoo!!!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

^Sometimes life is all about getting the right bounces ...

I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April.
    Step daughter is going the bail for the kitten says she herd the glass break and the kitten was on the chair asleep and the old cat was on the desk.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.