Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Willett 5yo vs. Redemption

I had some of the Willett 5 yr on Saturday and it was very good. I've really been enjoying their ryes.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thezenone View Post
    I had some of the Willett 5 yr on Saturday and it was very good. I've really been enjoying their ryes.
    I picked up a bottle at the Wine World across from Destin Commons in Destin, FL. It looked like a whole case (or perhaps 2) was on the shelf. Interestingly, the bottles were the last series of bottles from a single barrel. I picked #203 of 204 (is that a low number of bottles per barrel?) - I don't know why. It just looked cool. But on the ride home I began to wonder whether there were any differences between bottle #1 and the last numbered bottle from a barrel. Is that obsessive thinking?

Anyhow, I appreciate the responses to my original post (and the prior threads on both the Willett 5yo and the Redemption).

Enthusiast

Willet (even the 3 & 4 year olds) at Barrel strength blow doors off the Redemption.

I've not had a 5yr yet, but my last late-4yr old is pretty good. Definitely worth the slight premium over Redemption, and a good example of the style to have int he bunker.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    I picked up a bottle at the Wine World across from Destin Commons in Destin, FL. It looked like a whole case (or perhaps 2) was on the shelf. Interestingly, the bottles were the last series of bottles from a single barrel. I picked #203 of 204 (is that a low number of bottles per barrel?) - I don't know why. It just looked cool. But on the ride home I began to wonder whether there were any differences between bottle #1 and the last numbered bottle from a barrel. Is that obsessive thinking?

Anyhow, I appreciate the responses to my original post (and the prior threads on both the Willett 5yo and the Redemption).
    17 barrel proof 9Lcases from a 5yr old barrel would be about right. And I would not think that there should be much variation from a single barrel bottling.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Willet (even the 3 & 4 year olds) at Barrel strength blow doors off the Redemption.

I've not had a 5yr yet, but my last late-4yr old is pretty good. Definitely worth the slight premium over Redemption, and a good example of the style to have int he bunker.
    Hell, the 2yr Willett version was way better then Redemption. I've always thought the barrel strength is what the Willett Ryes' really have going for them.

Connoisseur

for a 5 year old barrel that is a good number of bottles.

Connoisseur

I have yet to find a Willett, but compared to even Bulleit, Redemption is a far cry short. It is amazing to me that even taking age into consideration that these two were sired my the same still and mashbill. Redemption just has, to me, no (ironically enough) redeeming qualities.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post

Which begs the question, why haven't these guys(Redemption and whoever else you want to lump with them) wised up to this and marketed a small portion of what they do as "barrel strength"? The way people, not me, have gone ape for their current weak tasting offering, and the crazy prices they get for it already, they could probably jack up the price and really get the hipsters nuts for it with a "limited release" marketing, and crazy prices, and the rest of use can sit back and get a laugh out of it.

And if they do this, I'm staking my claim that it was all my idea and I want a chunk of the profits. Screw giving me free product, give me the cash to buy somebody else's decent rye. Not theirs.......

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I picked up a bottle at the Wine World across from Destin Commons in Destin, FL. It looked like a whole case (or perhaps 2) was on the shelf. Interestingly, the bottles were the last series of bottles from a single barrel. I picked #203 of 204 (is that a low number of bottles per barrel?) - I don't know why.
    That wasn't barrel #89A by any chance, was it? (I've got 118/204)
    Last edited by MauiSon; 08-15-2012 at 01:47.