Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stagg worth

stagg worth

I have a friend that is a scotch man. He purchased a bottle of GTS last year and has yet to open it. I asked him if he'd be willing to get rid of it. He said he'd take $100 for it. Now I have a 2010 GTS which will be opened soon. Is this a decent buy, or should I wait till fall and take my chances of finding a bottle around town.

If I've broken any rules with this post, please take it off.

Disciple

Re: stagg worth

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    I have a friend that is a scotch man. He purchased a bottle of GTS last year and has yet to open it. I asked him if he'd be willing to get rid of it. He said he'd take $100 for it. Now I have a 2010 GTS which will be opened soon. Is this a decent buy, or should I wait till fall and take my chances of finding a bottle around town.

If I've broken any rules with this post, please take it off.
    It depends on how bad you want it, but I think you should try your 2010 GTS before making that decision. You might not be a fan of Stagg, in which case you wasted $100....or you might absolutely love it, in which case $100 might seem like a bargain since it is a hard to find release. In my case, I wouldn't pay $100 for it but that's because there's other stuff that I like more that I can find for less.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Considering that it's not really available at this point, it might be worth it. However, you already have an unopened bottle. I don't know about your drinking habits, but it's not an everyday pour for most people, considering the proof and special value. Your bottle might last you well into the next release. In your situation, I would wait until the Fall, when you can pick it up for $70-80 + tax. I would only pay $100 if I knew I couldn't get it anywhere else.

One thing is for sure, you should crack it open and give it a taste. It's a face-melter, for sure.

Advanced Taster

I would also be willing to pay $100 for the '10 Stagg. I think the important thing to remember here is that every GTS, while similar in profile, is unique year to year. The '10 is one of the best reviewed GTS with many considering it better than the '11. The '12 as far as I know will be 142.8 pf which is right between the '10 and '11.

Taster

I would be willing to pay $100 as well. It's $80-90 around here if you are lucky enough to find it. I love Stagg, and given the proof it is a relatively decent price given its premium category. Probably still makes sense to taste what you have first and make sure it is something you like.
    "Bad Bad Whiskey made me lose my happy home"
    -- Amos Milburn 1951

thanks for the input gentlemen. I think I will take a taste this weekend, but will probably still hold off. I think he'll continue to let it sit. I'll save the $$$ for now.

Virtuoso

Keeping in mind that it is not legal for individuals to sell alcohol without a lisence, but if it were, i'd offer him $90 and a taste (add 10-20% water)
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Talk him into popping it open, and then decide....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    The '12 as far as I know will be 142.8
    When is the BTAC typically released?

I sampled (and ordered) a 142.8 Stagg last night. It was quoted as a 4 to 6 week delivery.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    When is the BTAC typically released?

I sampled (and ordered) a 142.8 Stagg last night. It was quoted as a 4 to 6 week delivery.
    That seems really early, most of the stuff here doesn't hit until October at the earliest.