Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

What is a decanter?

I am a noob. And I hear talk of new decanters being released and decanters dug up while dusty hunting, but I have no idea what a decanter is. Some care to explain it to me in dummy terms?

Thanks

Guru

Re: What is a decanter?

It is just a very special looking bottle. It used to mostly mean that you bought something in a normal bottle and decanted the contents into your own fancy bottle, such as a crystal decanter. But, as long as I can remember (which goes back at least to the early 70's), they have sold filled decanters at retail. Things such as "commemorative bottles".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Basically a decanter is a fancey bottle. If you see in an old movie, spirits or wine being served from a short, wide bottle, with no label; that's a decanter. Beam (and to a lesser extent some other brands) used to sell a lot of their whiskey in comemortive bottles; also sometimes called decanters. It seems this stopped around the late '70s-early '80s. These turn up in garage sales, and thrift shops all the time. Usually, decanters have a stopper, rather than a screw cap.

Enthusiast

unnamed.jpg Liquor Decanter

unnamed (1).jpg Wine Decanter

wild_turkey_wild_turkey_decanter_series_1_no_box_P0000266568S0003T2.jpg Wild Turkey Commemorative Decanter
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A decanter is any container other than a standard bottle. The term refers to the verb "to decant," meaning to transfer a liquid from its original container into one for serving, but the meaning has been expanded to include special containers in which the spirit is sold. Those can range from glass pieces very similar to traditional decanters, up to very fanciful ceramics, of Elvis Presley, cars, trains, clowns, eagles, etc. You saw a lot of them for whiskey and other spirits in the 70s and 80s. Today not so much

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And to complicate it further, some standard bottles are designed to look like glass decanters.

Gary

Advanced Taster

"Pawn Stars" had a segment about Jim Beam decanters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHm0sRls2XU

Makes you wonder if any of the bourbon in there is any good.....
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I knew what decanters were for home use, but I didn't know what they referred to terms of retail bottlings. Thanks for the insight.

Are there anyones out there that people find particularly desirable (for the container only)? Obviously a Weller decanter from the 60's would be coveted for the SW juice it holds.