Except... the whiskey wasn't made in Ft Worth.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/food...159515515.html

Oddly enough, most everything I read about Firestone & Robertson shifts between their blended whiskey, which is sourced from KY, and their bourbon, which is still aging and won't be released for several years. However, the way the information is presented obfuscates the lines between the two and gives an impression the blended whiskey is their own "handcrafted" product.

They don't mention ONCE in the above article that the whiskey was sourced from 3 different KY distilleries, then blended with F&R's vodka. This is clearly stated in an article I posted back in March:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03...rt-worths.html

Instead, the top article goes on and on about how these guys "set out to capture the right flavor by doing everything the old-fashioned way -- even making their own yeast from Texas pecan trees" and "bought custom-made copper stills in Kentucky and added 1,000-gallon fermentation tanks" so they could "Slowly (they) perfect(ed) the process and the taste."

I had no idea the "old-fashioned way" was to buy up barrels from other states, blend the whiskey with your vodka, then tout it around as something you "made."

I saw similar misleading information in an email from Sigel's liquor stores here in Dallas. They announced that they were now carrying the F&R Blended Whiskey, then for no real reason they go into a blurb about F&R's production of bourbon, which has absolutely nothing to do with this sourced juice

Uniquely North Texas

F&R set out to capture and develop a proprietary wild yeast strain suitable to ferment their straight bourbon whiskey. No other craft distillery in the country has attempted to isolate and propagate a wild yeast strain and a unique, wild yeast strain suitable for whiskey distillation had not been invented in decades. Rob Arnold, F&R master distiller, successfully identified and propagated a wild yeast strain from a pecan found on a North Texas ranch - the F&R 'Brazos' yeast strain.

Aging whiskey has never been performed in North Texas. Whiskey maturation is completely dependent on the liquid's interaction with the barrel's oak wood, which is driven entirely by ambient temperature fluctuations. Because of dramatic temperature swings, and notably the sustained heat of the North Texas climate, the bourbon will experience a tremendous amount of interaction with the oak of each barrel. Although there are other factors affecting the provenance of their whiskey, this fact alone significantly differentiates F&R bourbon from those aged in Kentucky and Tennessee.
This is like Rebecca Creek 2.0, just in a fancier package and more expensive! (but probably still just as bad)