Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Alaska Distillery's Smoked Salmon Vodka

Bacon-flavored vodka is old news. I present to you the next wave: Alaska Distillery's Smoked Salmon Vodka
    545001_497914330223935_1311475569_n.jpg
    Last edited by Josh; 06-20-2012 at 16:21.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Re: Alaska Distillery's Smoked Salmon Vodka

OK, tried to post the pic a couple different ways, but still not showing up in the post, tho it shows up in the editor.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

This showed up a while ago here, and has already made its way into the bargain bins. Doesn't speak good for the product.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Bacon-flavored vodka is old news. I present to you the next wave: Alaska Distillery's Smoked Salmon Vodka
    545001_497914330223935_1311475569_n.jpg
    Yikes, looks like a handle in that photo. You'll be having many smoked Bloody Mary's!

Connoisseur

Who in the hell would buy something like that? All of this flavored vodka is crap and some of the micros are getting in on it, Saying birthday cake vodka is craft is a bunch of shit. All this stuff is, is bought in gns and flavored with chemicals that are mixed together to make a flavoring taste like the real thing. Can you imagine the hangover that kind of stuff would give you? We make a flavored vodka, but it uses our grap spirit and real fruit goes into the still with it and it is great. But the problem is it is more liek a berry eau de vie. It tastes real and not fake. Therefore people who like flavored vodkas do not get it.

Guru

Sadly, I didn't purchase this. I blew my money on a retailer bottling of a 10 y/o barrel of 4R OESO.

Some notes on the process of making it from Mutineer Magazine:
    "The salmon is smoked, the skin removed, and then the fillets are masticated (aka ground up). The chunks of salmon are then placed into a large vat and mixed with highly concentrated ethanol to form a stew.'From there, we strain it out, and we take the fluid, which now is very concentrated smoked salmon essence, and we add that to our vodka. We do a cold infusion process, we filter it a couple more times, and out the door it goes,' Toby Foster, an Alaska Distillery partner"

I would think a bloody mary would be the only thing it would taste halfway decent in too, White Dog, but here's a recipe from the same website:

"Ashley’s Bagel & Lox Martini
    Makes 2 cocktails
    Ingredients:
    6 Cherry Tomatoes
    6 Capers — minced
    Dash of Caper Juice
    1 small Shallot — minced
    2 tbsp Cream Cheese — softened
    6 oz. Smoked Salmon Vodka
    Instructions:
    "In a small bowl, whip together cream cheese, capers & shallots. Spoon mixture into a small ziplock bag. Push the mixture into one corner of the bag (as if it was a pastry bag). Cut off a small corner of the bag. Gut out the insides of the cherry tomatoes. Squeeze the cream cheese mixture in to the tomatoes and skewer them with a toothpick — three to a stick.
    In a shaker full of ice, add 3 oz. of salmon vodka with a dash of caper juice (to taste). Shake vigorously. Pour into a martini glass and garnish with the stuffed tomatoes.
    Disclaimer: Ashley has not actually made this cocktail and cannot attest to its success or taste. However, it is one way she can imagine the Smoked Salmon Vodka being used."

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/blog...lavored-vodka/

Sounds tasty.
    Last edited by Josh; 06-21-2012 at 04:31.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Not my cup of tea, but it aint all that bad for what it is.

Novice

I think this stuff is GREAT! Obviously there aren't many uses outside of a bloody mary. But it is not artificial chemical compounds, etc. giving the flavoring. Real salmon, real strange, oddly delicious.

Guru

Maybe I should try to create a smoked whitefish vodka. Smoked whitefish is pretty big in this state.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Wrong in so very many ways....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."