Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase today? - Summer 2012

Picked up a KCSB for $14.99.

Virtuoso

Bought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr. I havent had it in a loooong time. I hope it's good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The regular Blanton, i.e., not the lower proof green version (80 proof) available in some export markets. This particular barrel is terrific, it has a soft entry and finish, with muted but clean and elegant bourbon flavors. No earthy notes, no dry ryeish finish, which some Blantons have in my experience.

It's interesting to compare it to Rock Hill Farms, a bottle purchased for more money and not nearly as good IMO being a little sharp and spirity.

Every barrel is different ... indeed every bottle (of anything) is, by my lights. Makes it interesting.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-02-2012 at 18:52.

Guru

See, and I greatly prefer the RHF to the Blanton's. But then again I guess that's why they make so many different kinds, yeah? Cheers!

Connoisseur

picked up a bottle of EC18 today, had a taste of the same barrel/bottling Saturday and it was great! Glad I did too, as it was the last on the shelf at this particular store. One more to visit to see if they have any....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Every barrel is different ... indeed every bottle (of anything) is, by my lights. Makes it interesting.

Gary
    Very well put Gary. Very well put.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary
    The more I drink, the more I realize how dramatically bourbon can vary between barrels. Of course, you have to drink the single barrel expressions to get this. Most companies focus on brand to tell bourbon apart, but it's a great revelation to start to understand that barrel placement trumps mashbill.

I've been trying to hold off on purchases lately. I scored some PHC Golden Anniversary a few weeks ago, and that was sufficient to break the bank until my bleeding knees send me out for more FR!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

I've been budget restricted lately, but I stopped into a new store on the way to friends house to pick up a simple bottle to fill out a blind tasting....and hit a gold mine. Some Old Forester 75th Repeal of Prohibition, Warehouse C Tornado, and Thomas Handy; the latter two at a significantly better price than I've seen them before. Oh well, it's only money, right?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've had RHFs that were excellent, but this last one was a disappointment.

Even non-SB bottlings can vary, e.g. a recent 4RSB was rich and fruity, (plums, peaches and oranges in a compote), whereas some batches seem thinner, drier or more woody. (I particularly don't like a "fresh wood" taste in spirits, any spirit). They all have the profile so the general market will not notice but for palates drilling down on these the differences are there and many here will agree I know. Some companies seem to attain more consistency in the bottlings, Beam is very consistent I find, especially for the white label and black.

Gary

Connoisseur

Just picked up a 1792 Ridgemont Reserve K&L single barrel.