Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Call

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdoggydog
    That said, I thought that a good spicy maduro cigar went really nicely with WTRR, or Bulleit. OGD 114 was another good cigar bourbon (it's good for everything, imo).

A milder cigar is nice with a wheater- kind of like dessert for the smoker / drinker.

Great. Now I'm getting homesick.

I dont think the search for finding the right combinations can be overstated. The wrong combinations have come of awful to me, but when done correctly, a good bourbon stogie pairing verges on the sublime! I agree the 114 makes a fabulous go to stogie bourbon as well, I have enjoyed it on many an occasion with the likes of PSD 4's or a La Flor Dominicana double ligero. Do you have any suggestions to pair with a wheater, as I have found most of what I own to overpower them to an extent?

TomC

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyDawg
    I dont think the search for finding the right combinations can be overstated. The wrong combinations have come of awful to me, but when done correctly, a good bourbon stogie pairing verges on the sublime! I agree the 114 makes a fabulous go to stogie bourbon as well, I have enjoyed it on many an occasion with the likes of PSD 4's or a La Flor Dominicana double ligero. Do you have any suggestions to pair with a wheater, as I have found most of what I own to overpower them to an extent?

TomC
    My taste is is more to the full bodied smoke also, but I think a good match with a wheater would be a Short Story, or maybe an ERDM Choix Supreme.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I'm for Short Stories and Wheaters

Seemed to work the other evening.
    Short Story and BOTY (Weller)
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Connoisseur
    I love a good cigar, but I haven't had many of them over the past few years. My absolute favorite when I can get them is a Cuban Montecristo #2, the torpedo. I really love them. Primarily now for my smoking purposes I'll just have a Dunhill Cigarette. The tobacco is a high grade and closer to cigar quality.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Enthusiast
    I was talking with one of the Torano reps several years back in a buddy of mines Cigar shop...he said to watch out over the next couple years..that they had been aging some special tobacco and working on some different blends...WOW!...most know now that they had several cigars (Exodus,reserva, 1916 cameroon etc.) that hit the market that had ratings from 90-93! Some cigar companies NEVER achieve ratings like that. Anyway, I like them paired with many different pours..especially ones in the 90-94 proof range. My favorite a 1916 cameroon churchill, Jefferson Reserve/Rocks!

Administrator in exile

Re: Roll Call

Re-opened, for your enjoyment
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster

I go for a mild to medium cigar like Macanudo, Arturo Fuente 8-9-8, Romeo y Julieta maduro; but I find that my favorite changes every few months. It seems my palate needs a little variety, and the same thing happens with coffee and whiskey. Right now I'm smoking a lot of H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon 7 x 47. A whiskey is nice. Like my Dad told his doctor, "I like a cigar with my whiskey, and you wouldn't want me to give up my whiskey would you?"

Taster

I actually perfer the cheapies. I buy by the box and usually won't spend more than 45-50 bucks! I've had expensive cigars, they are good, but a $2.00 cigar tickles my fancy.

Advanced Taster

Brian-
    have you tried some of the on line sources, they often have unbanded seconds and over runs from the major names. I have found some of their house brands to very good, one I have ordered from is..

http://www.jrcigars.com search for bundles

Their house brand is...

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...%20ALTERNATIVE

Taster

MissinER101, thanks for the links! I put those in my favorites and will be buying some bundles from them!

I used to buy from
    bestcigarprices.com