Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Call

Connoisseur

Re: Roll Call

I have a Monte white robusto, or whatever they call it, at home and just so happens a bottle of RB too!

I know what I'm doing this Saturday!

Novice
    Hi - I'm new here but I do love a good cigar and a glass of bourbon!

I find Havanas go best with bourbon because they're fuller bodied and don't get overshadowed by the alcohol.

Romeo y Julietas, Partagas or H. Upmann would be my choices to go with a glass of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, or Rockhill Farms!

I also like a nice Scotch with a cigar, but this isn't straightscotch.com!

Slightly OT, I'm in Canada and find it interesting how many of you smoke Havanas! Must be hard to get them down there!

Guru
    Hey Spirit,
    Yes, very hard (and illegal) to get them. I sure wish we'd bury the hatchet with Cuba so we could have ready access to them like you guys.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Administrator in exile

Thumbs up

Welcome to Straightbourbon.com!

My favorite combination is a Montecristo #2 and a healthy pour of 2002 Stagg. Of course that's only when I'm traveling abroad
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Advanced Taster
    I guess I am the exception, my palate just does not care for alcohol with cigars. Dark-roast coffee with a cigar is more to my taste. Favorite cigar, when I decide to splurge a bit, is a Partagas Spanish Rosado. Otherwise, everyday smokes are something from the JR Ultimate line, Montecristo, or Don Diego.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Willie
    everyday smokes are something from the JR Ultimate line, Montecristo.
    Gee, your everyday smokes are my favorites. I could not afford these as everyday smokes.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster
    At most I most 2 per day in the summer. Usually, I smoke about 3-5 per week and those are fairly small sticks...petit coronas, coronas, or robustos. The petit corona for the three brands I listed all run about $2.50 to $3.00 a piece via JR Cigars.

Taster
    I enjoy 2-3 good cigars a week. Favorites: Bolivar Petit Corrona, Ramon Allones Special Selected, Gurka Anceint Warrior, CAO Brazillia GO, and La Gloria Cubana Seire R #5. Although I'm new to bourbon, so far I like Knob Creek, Bookers, and WT 101. As far as smoking good cigars with good bourbon? I think done together they can be counter productive. It seems to me that nuances of both can be overpowered. I've found that a cup of good fresh ground coffee enhances the taste of a cigar, but bourban is best enjoyed by itself.

Disciple
    Its touch and go with me. Some whiskey (say Elijah Craig 18) seem born to be drank with a fine stogie, whilst other stand better on their owm\n. Overall I tend to think exploration cannot hurt ;-)

TomC

Advanced Taster
    I like a good cigar, and I love bourbon. I found that I can't have them together, though, for my stomach heartily objects. Forced to choose between the two, I found myself always just going for the bourbon. It's a lot more convenient, and, well, I just love bourbon.

That said, I thought that a good spicy maduro cigar went really nicely with WTRR, or Bulleit. OGD 114 was another good cigar bourbon (it's good for everything, imo).

A milder cigar is nice with a wheater- kind of like dessert for the smoker / drinker. These were nice for summer evenings in NC (I miss southern summer evenings a lot right now), sitting out on the patio/deck, chatting away with good company.

Great. Now I'm getting homesick.
    -Sam