Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Bourbon

Novice

Cloudy Bourbon

Poured myself a nice portion of Knob Creek and settled back to enjoy it and a book. After about half an hour I noticed that some of the bite was gone from it, but that was ok I was enjoying all the other flavors. After about an hour, maybe an hour and a half I noticed that the last sip was very cloudy and was, for lack of a better description, flat. Like soda that had been left out too long.

I had searched the boards to see if anyone else had this happen, but couldn't find anything.

Any thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cloudy Bourbon

I'd guess that the decreased "bite" is a result of your palate adjusting to the relatively high proof. As for the cloudiness, I don't know. Backwash?

Advanced Taster
    If I have a very small amount of bourbon in a glass and leave it overnight, by morning it's cloudy. I don't think it's all backwash since it was not cloudy until it sits for several hours. Oxidation is my take

Novice

I thought about that too, but cloudy after an hour or so?

You got me on a 100 proof bourbon going cloudy but like they say cloudy isn't going to hurt you. Usually cloudy bourbon is unchill filtered bourbon that has gotten cold that is under 100 proof. It's all aesthetics like I said it won't hurt you it's just the fats in the bourbon collecting together. But KC is 100 proof and chill filtered so I have no clue. The flat could just be your tongue going numb. That would depend on on how much you had to drink and how accustomed to drinking you are.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Thanks guys for the input! Still have no idea what happened. It was cool in my apartment, but not frigid. I don't think my tongue was numb, it was a small pour and I was pretty much sipping it over the course of an hour or so. By the time I got to the end there was no bite at all and it was pretty flavorless. I couldn't even finish it. I wonder if it was the glass?

Connoisseur

I was going to suggest that their may have been soap residue in the glass. Not sure how you washed them, but typically, even if I put my whiskey glasses in the dishwasher, I almost always rinse them under water and let them dry again to make sure there is nothing left in the glass. I'd rather be careful than ruin a good pour. I'm just as anal with my wine glasses.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    I was going to suggest that their may have been soap residue in the glass. Not sure how you washed them, but typically, even if I put my whiskey glasses in the dishwasher, I almost always rinse them under water and let them dry again to make sure there is nothing left in the glass. I'd rather be careful than ruin a good pour. I'm just as anal with my wine glasses.
    I'm thinking you may be right. I had another pour of the Knob Creek last night, in a different glass, and had no problems at all. I'll have to be more careful with rinsing in the future.

That could be it
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Oxidation probably. Good whiskey will do it. I consider it a good way to tell a whiskeys quality. I freqently take barrel samples and put them in a solo cup maybe an 1/8 inch deep. Leave it out in my office, it has a ceiling fan. Ususally will turn cloudy in an hour or so. If is does not, I get worried.