Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Hello From Maryland

Hello!

I've been lurking on the forum for a year and a half and decided I needed to step out of the shadows and say hello.

I started becoming interested in bourbon and other spirits when I started making cocktails at home a few years ago (I am also interested in wine). Since then, I've been working through different bourbons to see what I like. I am working through a bottle of EC12 bottled as a single barrel for my local liquor store. I haven't had other EC12 bottles to compare it to, but this is very nice to my tastes (and a step up from EWSB and Knob Creek that I have open at the moment). It takes me a long time to go through a bottle. I think my next selection will probably be something from Buffalo Trace.

I really appreciate reading through the threads, especially on the history (PA and MD especially) of bourbon and rye and the rise and fall in popularity through the years. There are some amazingly knowledgeable people on these boards - and hopefully I will keep learning from you all.

- Ken

Advanced Taster

Re: Hello From Maryland

Hey Ken!

I lurked for a while before I started posting. I'm definitely still a noob, but people here are so nice. I'm also from the MD/PA area. It's been a bit trying to find good and new bourbons at the state stores here in Philly, but luckily I have a car and make occaisional trips to Jersey, Delaware and MD.

I would recommend Eagle Rare 10 if you want to try something form BT. I really like that bourbon and it's pretty affordable, usually in the $30 range

Cheers

Disciple

Greetings fellow Marylanders. I hail from across the Bay. I live on a scrapple, chicken, seafood and bourbon diet. Nice to have you aboard.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Hey Ken!

I would recommend Eagle Rare 10 if you want to try something form BT. I really like that bourbon and it's pretty affordable, usually in the $30 range

Cheers
    Eagle Rare is nice for $30 and even nicer at about $21. If you ever get over to Montgomery County (outside of DC), check out the excellent prices available there. See www.montgomerycountymd.gov for the Dept. of Liquor Control. Weekly and monthly specials can be outstanding.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Eagle Rare is nice for $30 and even nicer at about $21. If you ever get over to Montgomery County (outside of DC), check out the excellent prices available there. See www.montgomerycountymd.gov for the Dept. of Liquor Control. Weekly and monthly specials can be outstanding.
    Good to know! I live northeast of Baltimore but find myself in that area for work on a semi-regular basis. I will definitely check it out the next time I am in the area.

Planning on putting a brisket on the smoker this weekend --- sounds like perfect time for some bourbon drinking.

Connoisseur

Actually, there are two officially recognized perfect times for some bourbon drinking: Now and Later.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Taster

I'm out in western Maryland, and compared to Virginia where I moved from, there's definitely some better selections.

If you're looking for something that you can't find around Baltimore, let me know. My local shop has plenty.
    Welcome to the board!
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal