Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bulleit Rye vs "Baby" Saz

I just bought the baby saz 2 days ago, and I really like it. Here in Ontario the only straight ryes available lately were Rittenhouse BIB and baby Saz. I didn't care for the Rittenhouse. One Canadian whisky I enjoy that's cheap is Alberta Springs 10yo, and it's said to be 100% rye.

Virtuoso

IMHO "Baby" Saz makes a killer Manhattan. Unfortunately my bottle is near empty and the stuff is next to impossible to find here in the Bluegrass.

Connoisseur
    These are night and day different pours on the palate. I'm 100% confident I could identify them 10/10 times blind.

So it just comes down to what you're looking for in your glass.

Personally, I enjoy them both when the mood strikes. Both have a place on my shelf.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    That is interesting. I nearly swore off all Heaven Hill products because my one (and only) bottle of EW Black tasted like Scope. But I got literally NO minty taste on the Bulleit Rye... at all.
    Wow... I get more mint on LDI rye than from a julep!

That said, it's not bad - just a unique profile. If you can dig up Willet 4-5yr Rye at CS, then grab that... easily worth the $10 premium over the Bulleit.

Virtuoso

I had given up on the LDI stuff because I got so much mint every time but recently had a 5yr Willett Rye that I assume is from the same LDI stocks that last years 4yr was from and it didn't have any mint. The 4yr was like a mint mouth wash.

Connoisseur

You guys have me scared now. I was going to buy a case while it was still on sale, and but I will get another bottle or two instead, I just in case my bottle was a fluke.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    What he said! Baby Saz is very good. Bulleit and the other LDI-sourced ryes are unique due to their very high (95%) rye content.
    I think that the complete lack of corn in the LDI ryes is even more telling than the fact that they're 95% rye. We expect corn from American whiskey, and when it doesn't make a showing, it can be jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    If you can dig up Willet 4-5yr Rye at CS, then grab that... easily worth the $10 premium over the Bulleit.
    This is a no-brainer. Same juice unchillfiltered and at CS.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I had given up on the LDI stuff because I got so much mint every time but recently had a 5yr Willett Rye that I assume is from the same LDI stocks that last years 4yr was from and it didn't have any mint. The 4yr was like a mint mouth wash.
    You know, I have seen Willet ryes around here that were actually distilled in Kentucky. I haven't tried one, but I've heard they have a very different profile from the LDIs. I wonder where they're from...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Baby Saz all the way. I may be spoiled in NOLA as stock is always plentiful at $20 or so. I think the resurgence of the Sazerac cocktail has contributed to shelves always being full.

Guru

And the Baby Saz comes in a cool bottle too! I'll be firing up the grill momentarily and plan on a few ginger ale & ryes to keep me wet while I'm out there flipping chicken.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Baby Saz all the way. I may be spoiled in NOLA as stock is always plentiful at $20 or so. I think the resurgence of the Sazerac cocktail has contributed to shelves always being full.
    Wow, I will have to keep this in mind when I go to NOLA in November. I may be packing some SAZ to bring back home.