Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Virtuoso

Re: Bulleit Rye vs "Baby" Saz

I have 3/4 of a bottle of Baby Saz that I've had for more than a year. I'm reluctant to kill it off because I can't find it on the shelf any more in Ohio.

I can't say that I prefer one rye over another. It just seems to be a matter of what I want on a given evening. I've been drinking quite a bit of KC Rye lately.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    That is interesting. I nearly swore off all Heaven Hill products because my one (and only) bottle of EW Black tasted like Scope. But I got literally NO minty taste on the Bulleit Rye... at all.
    Now, that is interesting! My bottle of Bulleit Rye is just loaded with mint. Because you easily find the mint in EW, we'll assume that your palate is OK. And BR is not a single barrel, so how to account for the variation?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Now, that is interesting! My bottle of Bulleit Rye is just loaded with mint. Because you easily find the mint in EW, we'll assume that your palate is OK. And BR is not a single barrel, so how to account for the variation?
    Well, I tried it again, picked up another bottle... and... No Mint! Just to be sure, I had a pour of Pure Kentucky, which has a little mint on the finish, and sure enough I could taste it in the Pure Kentucky, but still nothing in the Bulleit Rye.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Well, I tried it again, picked up another bottle... and... No Mint! Just to be sure, I had a pour of Pure Kentucky, which has a little mint on the finish, and sure enough I could taste it in the Pure Kentucky, but still nothing in the Bulleit Rye.
    Interesting. I've yet to have a sample of Bulleit Rye that isn't loaded with mint and evergreen with a Pine-Sol like nose. You get none of those notes?
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Interesting. I've yet to have a sample of Bulleit Rye that isn't loaded with mint and evergreen with a Pine-Sol like nose. You get none of those notes?
    I might, but not to the extent that some of you seem to get........ but I like it.

Advanced Taster

I've only been able to sample Bulleit Rye twice, both times in bars (it's not distributed yet where I live). The first time was from a freshly opened bottle. It tasted like Wrigley's Doublemint, but not like the first chew - more like after you've been chewing for 5 or 10 minutes and most of the sweetness had gone. Very dry and spirity - unique.

The next time I sampled it, it was the very last shot from a bottle that had been opened for a few months. With aeration (and possibly some evaporation), I found a lot less mint and more of that floral/violet/lavender character that I get from the other young LDI ryes (it's predominant in Willett, but also present in Rendezvous). Some here have described it as "dill" or "pickle juice" and I see where they're coming from, but for me it translates as violet. Like C. Howard's (Chowards?) scented gum. But I didn't detect it in the freshly opened bottle.

I just recently finished a bottle of Baby Saz, which is a much sweeter Rye. I've never detected any mint in that, but did very briefly, about two thirds of the way through the bottle, find a slight hint of that floral note.

For me, the Rye spectrum begins with Rittenhouse BIB and ends with Bulleit. Ritt is sweet and bourbony, with only a hint of Rye spice and Bulleit is dry, spicy and herbal. Sazerac sits right in the middle.

separated at birth?

wirgley.jpg bulleit-rye1.png
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Disciple

Love the photo comparison. There is a bit of minty green on many Rye labels. Saz 18, WT, Willett, Bulleit.

Connoisseur

Went back to this well one more time, and yes, I finally detected a bit of mint... but I think Smithford described it. Background mint... certainly not the overwhelming mint others described... but the mint was there. (Fortunately, it was in proportions that are tolerable, and not the Scope like quality of Evan Williams Black).