Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The thing about a brand like Jefferson is that what would be a drop in the bucket for, say, Rittenhouse, is a year's inventory for Jefferson, it's such a small brand. ... in any given season, somebody like Heaven Hill (or anybody) may need to make a small inventory adjustment, and that's all the Zoellers need for Jefferson's.
    Is that true? You know the numbers, and I don't, so I'll defer to your expertise. But speaking anecdotally, I'd have guessed the opposite. In the past 18 months or so, I've been to Chicago, Florida, Buffalo, and NYC twice. Almost every liquor store I go into has Jefferson's Rye. Not so much Rittenhouse.

Regarding the label, FWIW the lady at WhiskeyFest mentioned something about a paper label stuck on the bottle which mentions chill-filtering (can't remember if it was or wasn't). In any case, bottles with the label are filled with Canadian Rye, without the labels are from KY.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    Haven't heard or read much about this. Does anyone have an opinion on this one?
    Superb rye in my opinion. I had some more last night and was amazed with every sip. When it tastes this good I don't really care where it comes from.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    Is that true? You know the numbers, and I don't, so I'll defer to your expertise. But speaking anecdotally, I'd have guessed the opposite. In the past 18 months or so, I've been to Chicago, Florida, Buffalo, and NYC twice. Almost every liquor store I go into has Jefferson's Rye. Not so much Rittenhouse.

Regarding the label, FWIW the lady at WhiskeyFest mentioned something about a paper label stuck on the bottle which mentions chill-filtering (can't remember if it was or wasn't). In any case, bottles with the label are filled with Canadian Rye, without the labels are from KY.
    What Jefferson's sells in a year, Rittenhouse sells in a day.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

The label on TTB COLA still says 100% Rye. If it has switched from Canada to KY, then who made it? Who makes a 100% Rye formula in KY? Nobody that I know of. Even LDI (or MGP) hi rye is 95% rye. 100% rye is unusual.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    The label on TTB COLA still says 100% Rye. If it has switched from Canada to KY, then who made it? Who makes a 100% Rye formula in KY? Nobody that I know of. Even LDI (or MGP) hi rye is 95% rye. 100% rye is unusual.
    Yeah, I just looked at a bottle on the shelf the other day, and though the only mention of origin is bottled by M&K in KY, it is still labeled as 100% rye. With all the interest in rye in the least few years especially, it would be quite the trick to keep a 10yo 100% rye made in KY a secret.

Of course, if it followed the TTB rules, the fact that it listed bottled location and not distilled location would mean it must have been distilled in the same state it was bottled...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Does the TTB still have labeling rules? I thought they gave up on that.

Advanced Taster

Interesting. As some have recently noticed, the 6 year old Willett Rye labels has switched from saying "distilled in IN" to "distilled in KY." IIRC, the Willett labels don't make mention of the mashbill. But to maintain a flavor profile when switching from 95% LDI MGP rye, they'd have to find another high-rye rye. Perhaps they're using the same juice Jefferson's is now using.

Does anyone have both of these? Could you report back with a side-by-side comparison? It would be interesting to know if there's a family resemblance.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Does the TTB still have labeling rules? I thought they gave up on that.
    Excellent point. I think they're more like 'suggestions.'

I'm coming to the point where trying to figure this stuff out isn't worth the effort. My attitude is becoming, if someone won't tell me where something was made then fuck them, I won't buy it. I've never done this before, but I'm thinking I may also refuse to taste it and write about it. Please, everybody, keep me honest on this, as I know you will.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-17-2012 at 11:35.

Guru

Barton was making some before they were acquired by Sazerac.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

jefferson 10 year rye

I picked up a bottle the other day in Cincy for $22. I really enjoy this pour, especially for that price. It's no WhistlePig....but it's still very tasty.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."