Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Viz. the national designations, maybe that Canadian whiskey was dumped into barrels and further aged in Kentucky. I haven't checked the rules, I don't know what effect doing that would have, I'm just throwing it out.

Gary

Guru

Being the staunch individualist I am I stand right in the middle of the views expressed by Shell and Chuck.

Luxco Co. provides me with a 7 year old 101 proof Bourbon under the Ezra Brooks label. They won't tell who made it, or much of anything about it, but I will buy it no questions asked because a a 7 yr 101 by any of the major distilleries is worth the retail price of 12.99

Another producer offers me an NPP premium whisky for $159.99 and won't tell me anything about it except it's special because is was custom made to their family's secret recipe passed down from their grandfather who wrote it out in longhand on his death bed and it was specially made and specially aged and specially bottled in this special bottle and, it's sooo special really (says so right on the label!) that only special people should have it and you know you are one of those, and especially, all the cool kids already have a bottle.

The second group won't get a dime from me. They insult my intelligence with intentional false misrepresentations and expect me to pay the equivalent of a case of Barton for one of their bottles. I won't let that mule kick me once.
    Last edited by squire; 01-05-2013 at 09:21.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post

Luxco Co. provides me with a 7 year old 101 proof Bourbon under the Ezra Brooks label. They won't tell who made it, or much of anything about it, but I will buy it no questions asked because a a 7 yr 101 by any of the major distilleries is worth the retail price of 12.99.
    This is yet another example of why I wish I had found this site a year ago or more. (And I agree with the paragraph I chopped out, but I want to accentuate the positive here). Thanks for this tidbit Squire, I'm gonna add EB101 to my list of stuff to try.

Guru

I think of it as the Barton factor. If it cost three times more than Barton I expect it to be three times better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    This is yet another example of why I wish I had found this site a year ago or more.
    Heh, I bet more than a couple of us had
    this exact same thought when we joined.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Jefferson's illustrates the point. Too often folks here twist themselves into pretzels trying to reconcile some anomolous label information only to discover (if we ultimately discover anything) that the product was mislabeled, or there's some other simple but unsatisfying explanation. It's not in my nature to be absolute about anything although I may sound that way sometimes. Obviously, there have been some good and interesting whiskeys that were less than transparent about their source. I don't know of anyone other than Alberta who was making 100% rye whiskey 10 years ago in sufficient quantities to supply even a small brand. Since straight rye is not a product of distinctive national origin, it may not be necessary to indicate its country of origin. Perhaps they found that it was causing confusion among consumers and was not necessarily viewed as a positive. My guess is that it's the same stuff, from the same source, but they decided to drop 'product of Canada' from the label, probably as a marketing decision. There. Now I'm bored and will think of it no more.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I think of it as the Barton factor. If it cost three times more than Barton I expect it to be three times better.
    I've seen you mention this Barton Factor several times, and - no pun intended - I think it's a fantastic benchmark.

Guru

Barton does inspire standards.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The SOI state that labels of imported spirits must state country of origin, so I'd have thought that Canada would still be stated if it was imported in bulk and bottled in the U.S. This is from a perusal and I haven't looked at it chapter and verse, but this is why I thought if it was further aged in the U.S., it is not imported perhaps in the sense intended by the SOI.

I think too it might be make solely from and aged in KY, there might be "industrial", e.g. for blending, makes made which depart from the usual specs for straight rye.

My inclination though, without knowing more and assuming it is 100% rye feedstock whiskey, is that it got some further aging in the States.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-07-2013 at 12:47.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I looked it up. I thought it might just be required for types associated with certain places of origin, such as scotch. I was wrong. 5.36 (e) says all imported spirits have to state the country of origin. Imported in bulk and U.S.-bottled is still imported. So either the Jefferson's is U.S.-made or mislabeled. My money is on mislabeled.