Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Three people can hear the same rumor that started with one source. I doubt it's anything but Alberta Springs because I don't know of anyone who was making 100% rye ten years ago in sufficient quantity to supply even a small brand. The best available evidence now says it's still Alberta Springs. I do, however, note that Alberta Springs is owned by Beam, which may make a 100% rye at Clermont as a blending whiskey for its own house blends, such as Beam's 8 Star.

That doesn't necessarily mean Beam is selling the Alberta Springs whiskey to Zoeller and Pickerell. There could be an intermediary involved. But Beam is known to sell some bulk when it needs to adjust inventories.

Although no one has confirmed that Alberta Springs is the source, it is known that rye is the only grain they use, so it's a good bet. Gimli, Diageo's plant for Crown Royal and others, makes a 100% rye, but I haven't heard they're selling any of it as a straight and they're unlikely to have any in surplus. Forty Creek makes a 100% rye, but they're too small to be supplying anyone else. And, of course, with the exception of my Beam theory, those are all Canadian sources.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-08-2013 at 12:58.

Guru

Beam eh? Well there goes the extremely small batch theory.

Taster

I have been on a major Manhattan kick and have been using the Jeffersons 10yo Rye as my got to. I just picked up 2 more bottles as they were on sale and noticed that my Original had a "non chill filtered" sticker on the bottle and definitely was not CF as it was cloudy. The new bottles both appear clear and look like they have been CF'd. Is this representing a change in provenance or is it simply a marketing / production change as they feel consumers want clear liquor? Wondering as I have not had the chance to taste the bottles I just picked up.

Taster

Sampled some again last night and it was even better than I remembered.

Must
    Get
    More!

Guru

I expect we will continue to see filtering, at least until the non-chill idea catches on in the popular mind.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GreggJ View Post
    I have been on a major Manhattan kick and have been using the Jeffersons 10yo Rye as my got to. I just picked up 2 more bottles as they were on sale and noticed that my Original had a "non chill filtered" sticker on the bottle and definitely was not CF as it was cloudy. The new bottles both appear clear and look like they have been CF'd. Is this representing a change in provenance or is it simply a marketing / production change as they feel consumers want clear liquor? Wondering as I have not had the chance to taste the bottles I just picked up.
    I was unaware of the change the previous bottle I had was denoted as non chill filtered,I wonder when they made the switcheroo?I still find value there and will continue to purchase it in the future for around $30,why can't they just leave things well enough alone?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

According to the lady at the Jefferson's table at New York Whiskyfest, the non-chill-filtered version is Canadian Rye. The newer bottles, without the label are Kentucky juice. I have no other information, I'm just passing on what she told me.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    According to the lady at the Jefferson's table at New York Whiskyfest, the non-chill-filtered version is Canadian Rye. The newer bottles, without the label are Kentucky juice. I have no other information, I'm just passing on what she told me.
    Good to know. Wherever it's from, I'm digging the whiskey and the price!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    I wonder what the KY (distillery) source is for the Jefferson's Rye?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    I wonder what the KY (distillery) source is for the Jefferson's Rye?
    Deja vu all over again?

Wasn't this discussed a page or two back?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum