Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Either the ones that don't have the sticker really are chill-filtered, or certain barrels came out way more cloudy than others so they put the stickers on to keep people from leaving them on the shelves thinking something was wrong with them.
    I think you are on to something there - my bottle (batch 2) is somewhere between your two bottles, perhaps a bit closer to the cloudy one but not nearly as opaque as that appears. Chalk it up to batch variation.
    Mark

Disciple

Thanks for posting the pics I drug out a few myself and did a SBS visual evaluation but alas was too lazy to post.Yes there is a huge difference in the two indeed and the UCF'd looks like someone added a bit of fish food to it for lack of a better term.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Taster

Thank you, everyone, for you input and taking the time to do some comparisons of your holdings. My 2 bottles from K&L are from Batch 52, and are very clear. However, I just stuck one in the fridge, and the other in the freezer. I'll let them sit over night, and check on them sometime tomorrow (Friday), and I'll report back with my findings.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I vote for chill filtering, if that's what the distillery decides to do it's not like Castle Brands has a choice in the matter.
    Excluding the NCF-stickered Jefferson's, NCF whiskey usually has the same clarity as the bottle on the right, right? Perhaps they originally bottled as-is, realized consumers might be distraught at uncomely bits adrift in their booze, and slapped a sticker on those already bottled while they proceeded to regularly filter the rest of the juice.

Connoisseur

After overnight in the fridge, it is cloudier. Holding up to the light you can see very tiny bits/flakes floating around. So clearly NCF IMHO, but again my bottle is from an early batch. Had no idea they were up to batch 50+ ...
    Mark

Apprentice

On some levels I find this sort of discussion fascinating but part of me is concerned with only one thing...whether i like the taste or not.

I do.

(That simple question reminds me of one of my bicycle friends; while most of us stand around at parties and talk endlessly about the relative merits of our drivetrain, the gear-teeth inches of each combo, and crank length, when asked about these things my friend simply shrugs and says "I pedal it and it goes...")

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Bought my first bottle of his last week and no NCF label but I got to say it is onw fine rye and at a price I can really enjoy a lot of it.
    Oh and it's Batch 50 bottle 1079

Taster

No joy regarding my fridge/freezer test of the Jefferson 10 Year Old rye. I pulled the bottle from the fridge this morning, and after wiping away the condensation, the liquid inside the bottle was as clear as it was before getting chilled; no floating particles, or sedimentation. I just pulled the other bottle out of the freezer, and while my initial reaction was that I thought there was an increase in cloudiness, it turns out that it was nothing more than frost that had accumulated on the outside of the bottle; wiping away the frost yielded nothing but the same clarity as it had going into the freezer.

I decided to pop open the bottle that was in deep freeze, just to see if I liked it. I have to say, I enjoyed this juice, regardless of whether it was NCF or not. However, I would have been happier had the bottles showed some indications of NCF while chilled, since the majority on SB.com have indicated that the NCF product would likely yield an even more flavorful rye. And now I will also continue to keep this bottle in the freezer, since I do enjoy my whiskey chilled, and this will avoid having to water it down with ice.

Guru

Whether or not it's chill filtered may be as simple as what was on hand at the distillery when the purchase order came in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I've got a couple bottles of batch 5. A few have the NCF sticker and two don't have the sticker. The ones without the sticker have a crazy amount of sediment. Going back to what Luther said, they probably put the sticker on so people would buy it - a normal, unlearned consumer would take one look at the bottle and turn away (uh...there's a bug in my whiskey).

I also have a bottle of batch 38, which is CF. The difference is very apparent. So odds are, if your running tests and putting bottles in the fridge / freezer to determine whether its CF, it probably isn't.

The NCF is really awesome (especially at the price it was at), but the CF Canadian is really good, too.
    Justin