Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Perhaps that elusive 100% rye Barton recipe? The only thing we can be sure of is this whisky was distilled more than 10 years ago and things were different then, who knows what sort of contract distilling was going on.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Perhaps that elusive 100% rye Barton recipe? The only thing we can be sure of is this whisky was distilled more than 10 years ago and things were different then, who knows what sort of contract distilling was going on.
    They should just tell us the source, unless they are contractually bound not to or they are ashamed of it. I have heard great things about it. My local retailer has a store-selected version and says that it is actually closer to 13 years old. I pick up a bottle every time I go in but than seeing no specific information on it end up putting it down and not buying. If I saw NCF or product of Canada on it, I would already have bought it. Maybe I am reading to much into it. It is just that I can pick up a bottle of Ritt BIB for $7 cheaper and I know what I am getting.

Disciple

Just picked up a bottle while out to lunch seeing how I'm out and this is a great rye. None of the bottles on the shelf had the NCF label and are very clear.

But it's damn fine rye.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I just got a bottle of this stuff. No mention of no chill filtering nor Canada. It is to LDI. I bet money it came out of Barton.
    What batch number is it? I was thrilled to find a batch 3 today (no sticker, but clearly NCF). I think the latest batch I've seen is somewhere in the 50s (the other one I have is a 51, which is clearly CF - did the freezer test with no impact). I've yet to see a bottle though without the sticker on the side mentioning Canada. Just curious as the batch numbers are easier to scan when looking at the shelf
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Most of the batches I see now are in the 240's and are ~$40-$45. I'm on the hunt for one that actually says Canada somewhere on it.

Enthusiast

FWIW, I found a Batch 2 at a local store not too long ago, it was at the back of some newer bottles (Batches 49-52). It did not have a NCF sticker and it looks pretty clear (maybe just a bit cloudy, which means probably CF), but I bought it anyway because it's always good to have another and it's the lowest Batch # I have seen in the wild.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by KySalesRep View Post
    FWIW, I found a Batch 2 at a local store not too long ago, it was at the back of some newer bottles (Batches 49-52). It did not have a NCF sticker and it looks pretty clear (maybe just a bit cloudy, which means probably CF), but I bought it anyway because it's always good to have another and it's the lowest Batch # I have seen in the wild.
    I bought one last week. It was batch 11, bottle 1891. It is NCF and Canadian. It is not real cloudy but you can see floaties in it.

Enthusiast

The Batch 2 I bought is Canadian and I can see some floaties as well, but no sticker. It could have fallen off, don't know. I do have a bottle of NCF that a very generous SBer sourced for me, I guess a SBS is in order sometime in the future.

Guru

Just picked up a bottle a few days ago for $35 (batch 242, bottle no. 2057). The side label simply says "Bottled for McLain & Kyne, Louisville, Kentucky. Two days later I ran into a pair of the "older" bottles with the "Product of Canada" on the side label and non-chill filtered sticker on the front. Those were priced at $36 and will be picked up tomorrow. I plan to do some side-by-side this week to see how they compare.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I picked up a bottle (low $30s before tax). It has the NCF label, and Canada on the side. It was the only bottle left in a small store, so I don't know how long it sat there. I like it a lot. Is the Canadian NCF the one to get? This is really odd for me, since I'm usually skeptical of NDP products, and Canadian whisky.