Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I picked up a bottle (low $30s before tax). It has the NCF label, and Canada on the side. It was the only bottle left in a small store, so I don't know how long it sat there. I like it a lot. Is the Canadian NCF the one to get? This is really odd for me, since I'm usually skeptical of NDP products, and Canadian whisky.
    Even less is known about later bottlings so it seems to be the one to get. Not Canadian whiskey in the typical sense of the word. Rather it is 100% rye whiskey distilled and aged in Canada that likely was intended for use with other whiskey in creating the blend for a Canadian whiskey but instead got bottled in its pure 100% rye form by an American NDP.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Yes, it was/is intended as a flavoring whisky in blends, just like the 95% rye from MGP.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I picked up a bottle (low $30s before tax). It has the NCF label, and Canada on the side. It was the only bottle left in a small store, so I don't know how long it sat there. I like it a lot. Is the Canadian NCF the one to get? This is really odd for me, since I'm usually skeptical of NDP products, and Canadian whisky.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one, Paul. I've tasted both the Canadian NCF labeled one and the non-labeled one and they are virtually identical in aroma and flavor. I even put a couple of friends through a blind tasting and they couldn't taste any real difference either. Having said all that, if I had a choice between the two I would still aim for the Canadian non-chill filtered one, as even less is known about the provenance of the more recent bottlings.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

picked up a bottle of this today, and on first try I'm really impressed. No mention of NFC or Canada on this one, but if this isn't the same juice as the whistlepig I can't tell, but theres a good bet than I can't tell the difference between 100% ryes?
    Last edited by ramblinman; 01-06-2014 at 20:33.

Guru

100% ryes from the same distiller should be kin.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

If they don't list a separate source, then it has to be from the same state it was bottled in.

Connoisseur

I saw some special store selections of this. The label doesn't say Canada. I plan on going back, maybe Monday.

Advanced Taster

I bought a bottle of the Jefferson's 10 Year Rye today here in Florida.. I had to pay $39.99.. More than I would have like to have paid.. I have not tried this Rye yet.. Looking forward to opening the bottle sometime in the next couple of weeks.. My main focus is trying to establish a good relationship with a couple of liquor stores so they may consider letting me get my hands on foe Sazerac 18 Year old and Thomas Handy Rye with BT releases some later this year..

Advanced Taster

Bought a few bottles of this at $23, and one bottle of Masterson's at considerably more (like $55). I REALLY have to pay attention to tell them apart in a blind tasting, and cannot say that I have a strong preference for one over the other. Thus I consider Masterson's the whiskey for which I most clearly overpaid.

Enthusiast

well if it's any consolation the masterson's generally goes for 65-70 around here.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton