Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

So the consolation is being kissed afterward?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

My main liquor store has the Masterson's Rye for $63.99 If my memory is correct.. I was thinking about buying one to try.. But held off.. The store owner had a shot at getting some Mitchers 10 year rye at least he thought he did.. Turned out he was not able to get the 10 Yr.. Any thoughts on the Willet 4 year old Rye? They have it in stock. I thought his price was $39.99 Not positive on that.. I read some of the reviews at Whiskey Advocate and John Hansell seemed to favor the aged Willet Ryes..

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Creggor View Post
    Any thoughts on the Willet 4 year old Rye? They have it in stock. I thought his price was $39.99 Not positive on that.. I read some of the reviews at Whiskey Advocate and John Hansell seemed to favor the aged Willet Ryes..
    Lots of praise on here for the Willett 4 yr Rye. I bought one bottle, cracked it open and really liked it. Proceeded to pass on several other bottles over the course of a few weeks. Then when I decided it would be prudent to buy some backups, they were all gone and I haven't seen any since.

The Willett products have gotten scarce, and I should have bought more when I had the chance. Any price under $40 is more than fair for the Willett Ryes IMO. Bear in mind, they are 110 proof, so they have some real punch of flavor, without tasting too young.

Virtuoso

If you like the LDI/MGPI/Seagram's/Rossville Union rye, in my opinion the Willett versions are the best examples of it due to higher proof and barrel selection. It bears zero resemblance to the older aged Willett ryes.

Connoisseur

I did a side by side between Canadian NCF and the special small batch store selection (not labeled Canada). The store selection has a bit more alcohol in the nose, otherwise very similar. The color is the same, but the NCF has a little haze near the bottom. The NCF has a more creamy texture, and a taste I associate with fresh bread, that the other lacks. All in all, they seem like two different batches of the same recipe. It makes me wonder if the word "Canada" somehow got left off the label of the store selection?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Creggor View Post
    ... Any thoughts on the Willet 4 year old Rye? They have it in stock. I thought his price was $39.99 Not positive on that.. I read some of the reviews at Whiskey Advocate and John Hansell seemed to favor the aged Willet Ryes..
    Keep in mind these are single barrels. Two barrels won't be exactly the same. Also, George Dickel Rye is also from Lawrenceburg, IN, same 95% rye recipe, but charcoal filtered and bottled at 90 proof.