Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

So any further insight as to the source of the rye in the newer version of Jefferson's? I know it is frustrating that the producer won't give it up and if it is good and priced well then I suppose it doesn't matter much unless you want to stick to your guns and refuse to buy from those companies that won't provide any details (an admirable goal but one which I probably wouldn't be able to hold myself up to!).

But my natural inclination is to continue to try to find out if I can! haven't bought it yet but may when I finish the bottle of the older Canadian sourced Jeff rye since the reviews seem to be positive. Last time I checked locally it was still the older Canadian sourced bottle. I guess I need to look again to see what is out there now!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

My natural inclination is to stick to my guns.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    unless you want to stick to your guns and refuse to buy from those companies that won't provide any details (an admirable goal but one which I probably wouldn't be able to hold myself up to!).
    It has an age statement, so I make an exception.

Somebody earlier noted that Barton was making a 100% rye at one point. At the very least, we know that they have made a few different mashbills based on what we know about them indirectly via Highwest. But please note that I'm merely speculating off of that one post and have no real information.

I think it's good whiskey and one that I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of. At least for <$30. But you have to like that high-rye style. It's not for everybody.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Barton has a current production Rye, Fleischmann's, though I doubt it's a 100 % formula.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And an excellent rye it is, with a slightly sweet, appetizing taste. I only get to try it when someone brings it to Gazebos. A hidden gem IMO.

Gary

Guru

This is the brand I'm hoping Sazerac takes an interest in promoting. What's Barton got in the warehouses, half million barrels? Gotta be some older rye hanging around somewhere in that supply.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good observation and I hope it happens.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If it's 100 percent rye, it more or less has to be Alberta Springs, doesn't it?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If it's 100 percent rye, it more or less has to be Alberta Springs, doesn't it?
    But then why go to the trouble to take the "Product of Canada" designation off of the bottle? Even if somebody in Kentucky bought it first and then resold it to Jefferson it would still be a Canadian product, right?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ... I'm coming to the point where trying to figure this stuff out isn't worth the effort. My attitude is becoming, if someone won't tell me where something was made then fuck them, I won't buy it. I've never done this before, but I'm thinking I may also refuse to taste it and write about it. Please, everybody, keep me honest on this, as I know you will.
    There are many, many examples of spirits which are not transparent about their sourcing. There are many, very well-regarded blended and single-malt scotch private label producers that do not reveal their distillery source. Fine Cognacs and aged rums don't necessarily reveal where the grapes/rum are sourced. And, here in the U.S., whiskies may be private labeled or distilleries help each other out, and the exact sources are not revealed. I enjoy the discussion of where spirits are made and the mash composition of whiskies. But, the bottom line for me is: If I enjoy the drink and the price gives me value, I will continue to enjoy it even if the sourcing is not revealed. Thanks.