Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: jefferson 10 year rye

I suspect they can't just leave things alone because they have to accept the whisky as the maker sees fit to prepare it for sale.

Advanced Taster

It was - but no one seemed to have any insight into the KY link, other than the change in label on the Jefferson's Rye bottle. Thought I would ask to see if anyone had any new info.

Guru

A worthwhile topic to be brought up again. If we stopped at one discussion per subject this place would close.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    According to the lady at the Jefferson's table at New York Whiskyfest, the non-chill-filtered version is Canadian Rye. The newer bottles, without the label are Kentucky juice. I have no other information, I'm just passing on what she told me.
    I went out and bought a few of the older non CF stuff at $28.99 and did a side by side with the new unmarked bottles and it's obvious visually the new stuff is CF'd for sure.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Datum duely noted, TyvM.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    So three different people found out by word of mouth that it's being now being sourced from KY instead of Canada. Hardly an unassailable fact, but consider the alternative: what motivation would they have to lie about it?
    There's plenty of motive as to why you would lie about the source of a whiskey. Just the tip of the iceburg, Ryes, specifically American Straight Ryes, are making a comeback. If it says made in canada, how many people will think it's a canadian whiskey? They want this labelled as a rye. Why wouldn't they lie about this, if they can get away with it? The Zoellers seem to be more than marginally worse at confounding the facts than say, Drew at KBD, and that's impressive. As far as rectifiers go, only Perkins from High West seems to be relatively honest and has actually stated exactly where some of his whiskey has come from, and Preston Van Winkle doesn't seem to intentionally side track the facts a ton (there's some mis-info there but not a lot), and has been mostly up-front with where current PVW sources are from.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 02-13-2013 at 16:39.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

There's no shortage of tall tales in the whisky industry but I don't buy hype.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I went out and bought a few of the older non CF stuff at $28.99 and did a side by side with the new unmarked bottles and it's obvious visually the new stuff is CF'd for sure.
    Can someone explain what I'm looking at here? The bottle with the "Non Chill Filtered For More Flavor" sticker is unusually pale compared to the bottles of this I normally see.

Jefferson 10 rye chill.jpg
    Last edited by Tucker; 08-30-2013 at 10:22.

Disciple

Mine are all of the same color just the UCF'd version has the most barrel bits and nice flavorful floaties I've seen in any bottle I've ever purchased and you really can tell there is a slight difference in profile.I have no idea when the switch over is from 100% Canadian to 95% rye,have these hit shelves yet?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Taster

After finding this thread, I decided to try and hunt down a bottle of NCF Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye. I found a product listing on the K&L Wines website that showed a photo of the "Non Chill Filtered For More Flavor" sticker, but the text description did not mention the product being non chill filtered, but it did describe them as rye sourced from Canada. Being of the cautious sort, I emailed the K&L Customer Service Dept., and received assurances that the product was indeed the NCF version. With my doubts seemingly put to rest, I pulled the trigger and purchased 2 bottles along with a few other items. When I received them yesterday, the bottles of Jefferson's rye were lacking the NCF sticker, and were labeled as being bottled in Louisville, KY, without any statement indicating that is was sourced from Canada. A little perturbed, I shot off another email to K&L, and got a response from David Driscoll a few minutes later stating that ALL of the Jefferson's rye product is NCF, whether the bottle has the sticker or not. So now, I'm more confused about this subject, than ever. The emails from K&L are shown below.

From David Driscoll:

"Jefferson's only makes one 10 year old rye whiskey, which is the one that we sent you. It is non-chillfiltered, but not all of the bottles have the sticker. Regardless of whether they have the sticker, this is the case. Now when I say Jefferson's only "makes one 10 year old rye," that's really to say that they purchase 10 year old rye whiskey from Canada and then have it bottled in Kentucky. They had nothing to do with the production of the whiskey, other than finding it, purchasing it, and bottling it. It's actually from the same distillery that supplied Whistle Pig and Masterson's rye, also 10 year olds that state "Vermont" and "Sonoma County" on the label, rather than Canada. This is troubling trend in the spirits industry, where suppliers do not state the origin of the distillate, which is why we include it in our notes so that you know exactly what you're getting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

David Driscoll
    K&L Spirits Buyer"

And the initial response from K&L Customer Service:

"All of the photos on our website are taken in house by our staff photographer so the bottle you'd be ordering is exactly as pictured on our site. The Jefferson's 10 year old straight rye that we're selling is non chill filtered.

Thanks!

K&L Wine Merchants Customer Service Department
    http://www.klwines.com"