Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Had a nice pour of 2011 Handy last night. Absolutely delicious.

Advanced Taster

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Had some much maligned Old Overholt in a mint julep recently. I have to say, with plenty of sugar in the simple syrup and plenty of mint (out of control in mulch patch, by the way), this was really tasty.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Just acquired a bottle of the Pendleton 1910 Canadian Rye bottled in Oregon. I thought it was quite good although a bit disappointed they watered it down to 40 proof. I would prefer to make my own determination about how much water to add. A little more round in taste than some ryes but still plenty of peppery rye character to let you know what you are drinking. I seem to recall some speculation that the source is Alberta Springs but the company is apparently not interested in sharing the source. Their choice I suppose.

Guru

Also got an interesting bottle (actually 2 50 cl bottles) of 15 yo Roggenaer from the A. van Wees distillery de Ooievar (Meaning the Stork it would appear) in the Netherlands. I am fortunate enough to have a Dutch friend who travels home every year and asked them to look for this for me.

Delightfully delicate whiskey with only a hint of wood despite 15 years of aging and yet at the same time full of a nice fiery rye quality. Something very different and yet to me a quality whiskey despite its genever/gin roots. The website suggest a bit of citrus but I did not appreciate that as much.

Edit: I guess it is obvious this is not an American Rye so should perhaps be moved elsewhere? It's kind of gin but not really. Far more of a whiskey style at least to me.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-27-2012 at 09:20.

Virtuoso

I took a hit from an '09 bottle of Handy I've had open for a while and rarely seem to get to. My oh my, that is some tasty whiskey! Comparing it to a 5yo Willet rye (LDI), it is so much brighter, with the corn that's missing from the Willet really polishing up the glinting rye grains. I like the young LDI ryes (really only the Willet brand, as it's CS and unchillfiltered), but the Handy really sketches a more broad profile.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Really enjoying, although sparingly, the Leopold's Maryland style rye. To my tastes, might be the best rye I've had to date.

Virtuoso

Practicing for the hot weekend.... WTR 101 and ginger.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Some TPS Bowman Rye... nectar of the gods, to be sure. One of the best things I've ever had.

Think Handy... on steroids, with 4+ more years in wood.

Guru

Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!
    The thread is titled 'enjoying', so you must be drinking the WT 101 Rye. Surley you can't be talking about the WT(F) 81.