Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    $93..good/ bad? Damn, I always forget about the minimum character thingy
    93 bucks is 32 bucks less than what I paid for mine so I guess I have to say yes, buy 'em.
    ovh

Guru

Enjoying some 2011 THH tonight. Some mentioned it changing further down, and I wonder if it is just the density of char sediment since this is unfiltered? I try to swirl it around a bit in the bottle before pouring to mix it up, but even then the heavier pieces settle fairly quickly. Either way - loving it this afternoon!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    This evening I am watching the Olympics with Rendezvous gracing my glass. With this newest bottle, I am getting a lot of hay/straw which I am enjoying.
    I picked up that strong hay/mown grass note on the nose when I first opened my bottle of Rendezvous. It completely disappeared after a couple pours. Can't say I miss that particular note much, but the rest of the bottle has been AWESOME! So much so that I brought it to share at a party and it starting going so fast that I hid the bottle so I could save a glass or two for myself. Bad form? Perhaps I just need to go buy another bottle.

I'm enjoying a small pour of the 16yo High West Rye at the moment. This half bottle was fairly hard to track down, so I've been conserving it.

Can I just say that I love High West? I've got a couple bottles of the 21yo Rye sitting on the shelf at $115 nearby. Worth it? I also can't wait to try Campfire.

Disciple

I think the 21yr at $115 is worth it, but others may disagree.

Guru

Wow. I feel double lucky to have found my bottle (at $65) now!

ETA: OOPS. See now you were talking about the High West.

Disciple

Willet 4yr." Groundbreaker" I am quite impressed and you would never guess this is only 4 year old rye,they really did their homework on this one.I would guess this rye to be in the 6-8 yr range with the flavor profile and the proof is great and never over powering.I should have bought a few more of these while in Kentucky,for the price absolutely can't be matched.

The Voshole

VWFRR along with a Gurhka Vintage 2001. A very nice combination
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Virtuoso

I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.
    A great review! It is now on my list to try. Thanks.