Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.
    Where in Wisconsin did you find the Fleischmans?

In other words, how far from the Twin Cities would I have to drive to pick up a case of handles?
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

He picked it up on Wisconsin's east coast, and I've never seen it west of the Fox Valley.

Virtuoso

So what you all are telling me is that I need to make a road trip to the next Vikings/Packers game at Lambeau.... [checks schedule] on December 2nd . No thanks!
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

I picked up the handles in Sheboygan Falls. Not sure where else it may be sold though.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I picked up the handles in Sheboygan Falls. Not sure where else it may be sold though.
    When are you heading to Dallas/Allen next?

Connoisseur

I'll be in town on the 14th - 16th, next week. I think the evening of the 15th is "scheduled" but the 14th is free.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

So enjoying is not the right word, but I tried the Hudson Manhattan Rye. The name seems fitting becuase while it might be decent in a Manhattan, it is not an enjoyable sipper. The nose on this young whiskey 'aged 4 years or less' is astringent and smells very heavily of cereal grain mixed with rubbing alcohol. On the palate, the grain flavor continues before developing a very sour rye note - normally I really like the rye sourness, but not when it is so one-note and intense. I would post notes on the finish, but there did not seem to be one - a little burn and then...nothing.

Exceptions aside, I generally tend to think of craft whiskeys as overpriced and not very good. In my mind, this young rye is no exception. At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-10-2012 at 19:44.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.
    I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?
    I agree Gary, I tried the entire line up with my father in the spring at Binnys.Price point and fllavor does ot constitute the price of these offerings.If you do not like the Baby Bourbon, you need not even try the others in the line up,as I found it to be the best which was not very good.

Connoisseur

a quick pic of the Wisconsin Rye Raid I just got home from:

IMG-20120812-00278.jpg

Stephen Foster
    Fleischmann's x3
    McKenzie