Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

WTR101. Picked another one up for the bunker today, so I think I'll be able to survive the drought for a while.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Last night was nice pour of Handy with a couple small ice cubes, I let them melt down. Bottle's been open over a year and there might be one, maybe two pours left. Damn, this has gotten better with time. Plus there's a fair amount of char swirling around. Yum.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Jim

Taster

I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    See if you can find some WT101 Rye that's still floating around but nearing extinction. It's very good and affordable too in the low $20's. Avoid over-priced boring stuff like Templeton which is decent enough but lacking the zing I like in my ryes.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.
    I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Finished off the Whistle Pig last night. Met my Kentucky courier for lunch today and took deliver of a 23 Rittenhouse and a Knob Creek Rye. Will try the KCR tonight.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?
    I think it's a fine rye, don't get me wrong. I'm just not all that crazy about it. It may be that super-high-rye-content ryes aren't generally my thing, though I do like High West Rendezvous.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary
    Recently bought a bottle a was very curious of the influence of the used cooperage,I am expecting the sweetness and vibrance to play through brilliantly as opposed to taking second seat to barrel char.I would love to hear more tasting notes as you work your way through your bottle.